JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is it on the road? Is it basically a 5spd for you at highway speeds?

I'd like to go 37s when my 35" KM2s are too worn for my liking, I know I 'should' regear it, but if you can share some insight on what you think of yours, it'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a four door with the stock 4.10 ratio and 37" KM2's, in an automatic. Its a dog on the highway but is livable after fixing the shift points via Hypertech.
Off road is fine but that's because its an automatic. (Yes, we have been through this manual vs automatic discussion before. And my wife can still wheel slower than you.:thefinger:)

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
It will feel like a stock rig pulling a heavy trailer.

The future allocation of $1k or so to regear to 5.13s will be even more worth it.

Most 37s measure around 35.5" mounted. Use the calculator on Randy's Ring and Pinion to calculate your rpm levels in 5th gear at highway speeds. The 5th gear ratio is 1.0.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

Truthfully, 2700 rpm in 5th gear at 70 mph isn't too bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
How bad is it on the road? Is it basically a 5spd for you at highway speeds?

I'd like to go 37s when my 35" KM2s are too worn for my liking, I know I 'should' regear it, but if you can share some insight on what you think of yours, it'd be appreciated.
Rockness Monster is going bias 39's with an Auto tranny and the stock 4.10's. I drove it a month or so ago, and I'll admit - it actually wasn't bad. It picked up and went without much problem at all.

And given that KM2's are so light and *supposedly* run small, I'd say that you'll have no problem with the 6-speed and 37's. You still also run your Flashpaq, right? That should also be helpful. Might toss on a SprintBooster to help too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've got a 2-dr 6-sp with the 4:10s and 'small' 37s. Let's just say this....

I see you live in Texas. You may be just fine. For me, in CO.....around town = livable but annoying. Highway = piggish. Wheeling = fine. Going up 6% grades at 10,000 ft to get to your favorite wheeling spots = almost unbearable and horribly embarrassing. Bumblebees pass you and laugh. So does every other wheeled vehicle sans the 18-wheelers, and sometimes even they give you a run for your money.

In other words, it depends entirely on how you use the Heep. But, prepare for a potential re-gear.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys guys, the automatics are in a whole different level as far as gearing goes compared to how a 6spd will "handle" the tires versus an auto. Gear splitting/ratios are a fairly drastic change.

Truthfully, 2700 rpm in 5th gear at 70 mph isn't too bad.
Kinda my thoughts as far as the highway rpm goes. As for right now I'm just on the "low" end of the spectrum, and I kinda like the low rpm cruise. Around town is as flat as you get get where I'm at. The crawl ratio and the highway rpm would be the main reasons I'd look to get my gear back, as long as it's bearable for awhile. I have to get my wife to approve the funds after dropping $1800 on tires :laughing:

And given that KM2's are so light and *supposedly* run small, I'd say that you'll have no problem with the 6-speed and 37's. You still also run your Flashpaq, right? That should also be helpful. Might toss on a SprintBooster to help too.
Yes the tuner is on there as well, I'd be looking at Kevlars since they are a little more true to size. That is my biggest complaint with my 35" km2s (they weren't really close to 35s to begin with...but the same price!)

I've got a 2-dr 6-sp with the 4:10s and 'small' 37s. Let's just say this....

I see you live in Texas. You may be just fine. For me, in CO.....around town = livable but annoying. Highway = piggish. Wheeling = fine. Going up 6% grades at 10,000 ft to get to your favorite wheeling spots = almost unbearable and horribly embarrassing. Bumblebees pass you and laugh. So does every other wheeled vehicle sans the 18-wheelers, and sometimes even they give you a run for your money.

In other words, it depends entirely on how you use the Heep. But, prepare for a potential re-gear.
Thanks for the info, that helps a bunch. Altitude and your kinda mountains play a huge roll in how yours will run. I think I am all of 500' above sealevel here, the biggest "hills" are man made :laughing:

As for right now with the 35s I buzz around pretty decent, my shifts are in the 1800-2000rpm range, running another couple hundred up would still be conservative.

Thanks ya'll, I'm really trying to get myself to buy 37s. I'm somewhat trying to avoid the snow-ball effect of them (more lift, driveshafts, immediate regear). But I also don't want to necessarily run a body lift, or be an inch off my bumpstops at all times to clear them off-road.

As you know i've been in the boat for a while. I'm regearing to 5.13

Thanks, however once again..San Fransisco is a whole different animal "around town"!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I ran mine for about a week before I regeared to 5.13's. I was on 37x13.50
Toyos as well. It wasn't too awfully bad. I just had to be a little more aggressive with the skinny pedal than what I would normally do. Night and day difference in going to 5.13s, but I actually plan on going 5.38s soon, I'm going to run some 39.5 Iroks. They're actually lighter than my Toyos I have now. Overall, You'll be fine, just start saving to regear.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what you're saying is that you don't plan on upgrading tires any time this year? :thefinger:
Thats pretty accurate actually, I got a about a year left before my KM2s don't have any trail tread left in them. :thefinger:

I have to start telling my wife how much tires will be long in advance :laughing:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, you may send Mikey (9Lives) on TexasJK a pm. I'm not sure he's re-geared yet and he's running 38's. White 2 door w/a 6 speed.
That the one he put Rubicon axles in? I don't fit in with the Texas JK group very well :laughing:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That the one he put Rubicon axles in? I don't fit in with the Texas JK group very well :laughing:
lol.

I run 4.88 with automatic, Nitto 35s (measure 35.4") mounted, tire weight 81 lbs without rims and the jeep runs great. Run Central Exprssway daily at 70-75 at 2500 RPMS it does not shift in and out of OD. Anyway I know u have a 6 speed but just my .02

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts