JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I did not think this up, I saw it on the other forum. I thought while I was doing it I'd take some pics and share.

Standard disclaimer-this mod requires drilling and filing/cutting. If you mess up it's not my fault.

After I put my windshield lights on last year my antenna has been hitting the pass side light. To cure that, I twisty tied the antenna to the stone guard. Obviously, when I take the guards off the antenna is free to hit the light again. A while back I put on a 14" stubby antenna, but the ball on top still hit the light, so back with the twisty tie I went.

I found a pretty ingenious solution on the other forum, so here it is.

First off, unscrew the antenna and remove it.

Next, pop off the cover. The retaining lips are at 3 and 9 o'clock. I pried the top of the cover away from the body with a flat screwdriver, then used another to pry closer to the retaining lips.

The three bolts are 8mm, take them off. The connector in back pulls off. I had to use pliers to help out a little here.

Now that the antenna mount is free, it's time to drill three new mounting holes. I drew up a pattern in a CAD program and used it as a drilling template. I guessed and used a 28 degree offset, but in the end it was too much as the door hit the stock antenna when it was opened. I ended up slightly slotting the holes to fix this. The correct angle is probably around 25 degrees.

Here's what it looked like after drilling, but before slotting.

Here's where you have an option. There is an indexing peg on the antenna mount. You can either 1)slot the body or 2)cut the peg off. I opted to slot the body. If you choose option one be sure and prime or paint the bare metal. I used a file, it took about 5 minutes. After I found out I had to slot the holes, I ended up just filing off the remaining section between the slots to make one big slot.

Here it is mounted back on.

Here's the finished mod with the stock antenna. It follows the angle of the A pillar pretty well and it's well away from the light.

Here's what it looks like with the stubby.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clever.

I did it redneck style (zip tie):
Yeah, I used to do that too. I take the guards off sometimes and ting ting ting ting.....

Hows reception with the stubby?
Not as bad as I thought it would be. I live in the city, eveywhere I travel within it I get reception.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much did those badges run you?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey... This is very similar to my write-up at jk-... ;)
10-4.
Exactly. Props to you on this. All I did was take more pics and estimate the angle;)
Welcome to this forum BTW, you'll like it here...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A regular Trail Rated badge cost me $25. I did away with the antenna all together.
Thanks for the price, but I was asking about the custom badges he ordered from BilletBadges.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Back to the shorty antenna, I have the 8" shorty antenna and it sits below the hood line. Reception is great. I like the write up covering how to tilt the factory antenna. With an 8" shorty you would not have to move it tho.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i used the 14" shorty antenna. reception is noticeably worse than before, but not bad enough to complain about.
i have the same KC lights, with the KC bracket. the KC brackets don't sit outward as far as the mopar bracket, so the antenna rarely ever hits the light.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think I will try the shorty. I don’t really use the antenna I use satellite 99% of the time.
:smokin::beer::smokin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, I'm not an electrical genius...

What's the difference between buying an 8" antenna and just cutting off the factory one down to 8"?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

What's the difference between buying an 8" antenna and just cutting off the factory one down to 8"?
Nothing really except the stock antenna is tapered. If you cut it down I'd find something to put over the end so you don't poke your eye out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I too listen to satelite radio 99% of the time. I just took a set of bolt cutters to my antenna and made it a stubby, then I put a little glob of RTV on the rough end. ta da! shorty antenna. Cheap and easy.
Sorry for the hijack.:D:beer:

·
Registered
422 Posts

Cut mine off with a chop saw and then rounded the tip off a little where it wouldn't be so pointed, also painted it flat black... Works fine...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took a pair of pliers and popped the little ball off the end of my antenna, then cut it off, slightly tapered the rough end with a file and put the ball back on. Free shorty only took about 15 minutes..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts