JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My name is Zack and I am the Parts Manager for Pro Chrysler Jeep in Thornton Colorado.
Any help you guys need with OE questions. Or advise to handle your local dealer.
Welcome to the forum!!

I have the first question for you (or your Service Manager). My 2008 Rubicon Unlimited came with side/seat airbags. If I wanted to take them out for aftermarket seats would a flash of the computer solve my airbag light issue or is it more involved? Maybe it would need a reprogram of the ABS module? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Sorry for the delay on this.

Ok so long story short, to be honest I don't know. Since that is a factory installed, I am not sure if you can change the factory program. The only thing that I can think of that might work is to try and remove that option from your vehicles build program in Dealer Connect. After that than reboot your TIPM to the new build configuration in hopes that it won't see the the seat airbags anymore.

I am going to try and find one on our lot and plug in its info to see if it gives me the option to remove airbags. I will keep ya updated.
Thank you ProZack. I don't know and neither does my local dealer. I have a body shop and deal with airbags everyday and I know how tempermental the ABS system can be. We have vehicles that don't deploy airbags and we still have to replace the weight sensor in the passenger seat to eliminate the fault code.

I think the module would need to be reprogrammed with the no seat airbag option but I am not sure. Any info you can dig up is appreciated.

Brent

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The seat air bags will no longer work! lol

I think you will just have a light and the rest of the system will work normal. I have a call into Chrysler to see if they can tell me for sure.
Thank you for your research ProZack. Will be interesting to see what Chrysler comes back with. I would not be surprised if the entire system becomes inoperable because of the communication error with the seats gone. We will see what they say.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.