JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all again!

A Little about myself.....

My name is Zack and I am the Parts Manager for Pro Chrysler Jeep in Thornton Colorado. I have work here for 16 years in various departments. I have worked in parts for the last 10 years and have been manager for 2 years.

What I can offer to JKO......

Any help you guys need with OE questions. Or advise to handle your local dealer. I am involved with alot of the local clubs, not just Jeep but SRT clubs as well. I love our sport and love to see it grow.

Pricing for JKO Members.......

Members will get 15% off Mopar list price!

Paid members "Red Star" will get 20% off Mopar List cost!

Vendors "Yellow Star" will get 25% off Mopar list cost!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My name is Zack and I am the Parts Manager for Pro Chrysler Jeep in Thornton Colorado.
Any help you guys need with OE questions. Or advise to handle your local dealer.
Welcome to the forum!!

I have the first question for you (or your Service Manager). My 2008 Rubicon Unlimited came with side/seat airbags. If I wanted to take them out for aftermarket seats would a flash of the computer solve my airbag light issue or is it more involved? Maybe it would need a reprogram of the ABS module? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum!!

I have the first question for you (or your Service Manager). My 2008 Rubicon Unlimited came with side/seat airbags. If I wanted to take them out for aftermarket seats would a flash of the computer solve my airbag light issue or is it more involved? Maybe it would need a reprogram of the ABS module? Any advice is appreciated.
I am at home now but I will check for you in the morning.. You just might be able to tell your TIPM that there is no seat air bags on the vehicle and be done with it.

I will find out for sure for ya in the morning!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum!!

Sorry for the delay on this.

Ok so long story short, to be honest I don't know. Since that is a factory installed, I am not sure if you can change the factory program. The only thing that I can think of that might work is to try and remove that option from your vehicles build program in Dealer Connect. After that than reboot your TIPM to the new build configuration in hopes that it won't see the the seat airbags anymore.

I am going to try and find one on our lot and plug in its info to see if it gives me the option to remove airbags. I will keep ya updated.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Ok so long story short, to be honest I don't know. Since that is a factory installed, I am not sure if you can change the factory program. The only thing that I can think of that might work is to try and remove that option from your vehicles build program in Dealer Connect. After that than reboot your TIPM to the new build configuration in hopes that it won't see the the seat airbags anymore.

I am going to try and find one on our lot and plug in its info to see if it gives me the option to remove airbags. I will keep ya updated.
Thank you ProZack. I don't know and neither does my local dealer. I have a body shop and deal with airbags everyday and I know how tempermental the ABS system can be. We have vehicles that don't deploy airbags and we still have to replace the weight sensor in the passenger seat to eliminate the fault code.

I think the module would need to be reprogrammed with the no seat airbag option but I am not sure. Any info you can dig up is appreciated.

Brent

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

I am another one looking to get rid of my front seats with the side PITA air bag.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright Moose and Hit. At this point i will say that you can not reprogram the TIPM to not have air bags from the factory. I thought I was really close........but now it doesn't work at all. So looks like I will be buying a TIPM for the test Jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Alright Moose and Hit. At this point i will say that you can not reprogram the TIPM to not have air bags from the factory. I thought I was really close........but now it doesn't work at all. So looks like I will be buying a TIPM for the test Jeep.
OUCH! Sorry bout that.

So, if I take me seats out.. what will happen besides an air bag light??

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The seat air bags will no longer work! lol

I think you will just have a light and the rest of the system will work normal. I have a call into Chrysler to see if they can tell me for sure.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.