JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Typing in from the land down under.

I've been doing so research an what I want, but still have a few questions.

Car: JK 2door, 2010, 3.8L, 6spd.

I want to run 33's but have a couple questions:

-Car came stock with 17" alloys, do 16" steel rims fit and clear?
-What does 4.5" back spacing convert to in offset in mm?
-Is the stock diff gearing ok with 33's?

I don't want to lift the car at all. I'm prepared to do a 1" leveling spacers in the front, but don't want to do any more than that.

I'm looking at 285/75 R16 tyres, and wondering with the correct offset if I will have any scrubbing with this setup?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you are from Down Under, come & vist us on www.ausjeepoffroad.com some time for local specific help! >:)

No you won't get 16" wheels on it. They went to 17" in '08 due to putting on the bigger discs that year & 16's won't clear the calipers on the front, sorry.

Stock gearing on manuals is 3.21. Geared towards economy. 33's, (285/70R17), work ok with it, but are a bit sluggish. You will be changing down gears for pretty much any uphill driving. (I have these on mine. '08 manual 3.8 with 17's)

Here's a handy calculator, the conversion will depend on the width of the rims. Backspace to Offset Calculator | GTSparkplugs

You might just fit them in, but it will likely rub a little. Mine just do on the curved part of the front sway bar, but only at lock when flexed, with a 2" lift. Oh yes, that's on the stock rims.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have 16x8/4.5 BS/ 315/75R16 Goodyear MTRK on my 2015 JKUR without any issues. Rims are aluminium. I've heard of issues with 15R steel and casting contact between caliper and inner rim, difficulty in aftermarket TR, etc, but 16s generally aren't an issue. I believe the conversion to mm equals 38 on an 8 rim. Double check though.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
my first aftermarket wheel/tire combo was 315-75r16 on 8-10" 16" alloys and the erated 35" with smaller diameter wheel provided more rubber between terracfirma and wheel so it was awesome off-road and on. No clearance issues w 16" wheels on JK/JKUs ...just less tyre choices if you want to go larger in future is all.
Cheers :jeep2:

·
Registered
915 Posts
16's will fit.

However your tyre choice is shit compared to 17's. You won't be able to do big brake upgrades and you run into fitment issues with aftermarket steering upgrades. Stick with the 17's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts