JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 2008 JK that recently spun the #3 rod bearing. Long story short, even though I have a lifetime ENGINE and powertrain warranty Chrysler wont pay the claim. Even the dealership can't believe it! Stay tuned for the saga......Get your popcorn ready

My question is, whom else has spun a rod bearing? How many miles, in or out of warranty? What did Chrysler do if anything? I heard there was a petition about this going around, anyone know where to find it?

I know there have been alot of threads and topics on here about this common problem that Chrysler doesn't want to talk about...

I appreciate all the help and feedback!

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
How often did change your oil? Did you go by time or actual mileage?

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
How often did change your oil? Did you go by time or actual mileage?
^this.
You'll have to have all service records from a jeep service center or receipts/records of every oil change and at what mileage they were performed to have them 'honor' that wrrnty . Otherwise , they have disputability of not following the directed maintenance standards compliance that the wrrnty agreement identifies.

I,too,am interested in your oil maintenance records and intervals. Are you original owner/buyer @myJK?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the second owner this Jeep, I bought it one year old with ~ 18k miles on it.

I change the oil every 3k miles and have the documentation to prove it. Chrysler never even asked for any of that, they just outright denied the claim.

The claim was denied because "the vehicle has been modified". However this is only an Engine Powertrain warranty, nothing more. The engine has never been modified! I even use mopar air filters. They saw my 2" lift and just denied the claim. When I questioned the impact of the lift on the engine failure they admitted there was none and it had nothing to do with the engine failure. So why are you denying my claim, "the vehicle has been modified".

I know there have been a lot of threads on here and other jeep forums about spun bearings, especially in the 2007 and 2008 motors. Who else spun a bearing? Was it warrantied? Did you pay?

Who else had any type of warranty work done?

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
The lifetime power train warranty is not transferable. Number 1 cylinder has been involved in a majority of the failures. The average repair cost has been $4000 +-. Good luck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am the second owner this Jeep, I bought it one year old with ~ 18k miles on it.

I change the oil every 3k miles and have the documentation to prove it. Chrysler never even asked for any of that, they just outright denied the claim.

The claim was denied because "the vehicle has been modified". However this is only an Engine Powertrain warranty, nothing more. The engine has never been modified! I even use mopar air filters. They saw my 2" lift and just denied the claim. When I questioned the impact of the lift on the engine failure they admitted there was none and it had nothing to do with the engine failure. So why are you denying my claim, "the vehicle has been modified".

I know there have been a lot of threads on here and other jeep forums about spun bearings, especially in the 2007 and 2008 motors. Who else spun a bearing? Was it warrantied? Did you pay?

Who else had any type of warranty work done?
They do this simply to avoid having to pay out thousands of dollars so it makes sense on their part.
With that said they could claim something stupid as a lift will cause more drag causing more stress on the engine. Warranty companies love to say crap like that.
double check under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act if they are even legally allowed to do this.

The lifetime power train warranty is not transferable. Number 1 cylinder has been involved in a majority of the failures. The average repair cost has been $4000 +-. Good luck.
Might have a different warranty though. but if not it does sound like you're beat OP. Sorry to hear. Good time to finance a Hemi swap! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an 08 that I am the original owner of and had the dealer do the oil services. Mine spun the rod bearings at 11k miles. The dealer replaced the engine with a short block under warranty. 14K miles later the rod bearings spun again. The dealer again replaced the engine under warranty, this time with a long block. They never even questioned about it and mine is lifted 4.5" inches running 37's. I drove it home from the dealer and immediately pulled the engine, sold it and installed an 6.0 LS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on Magnusun-Moss Warranty. I'm going to look into it.

The lifetime warranty was transferable as it was part of my package when I purchased the Jeep, the presence of warranty was never questioned, just the claim.

Yes, Chrysler knows there are problems with this engine and is just looking for ways to get out of paying the claim. Dealer quoted me $9500 for new long block with install.....

Who else has spun a rod bearing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts