JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I have been driving through rain what appears to be non stop for nearly 4 hours. Blech...

Anyway....Is it even remotely possible that all the water has flushed out the grease in the lower control arm bushings? I hear a slight popping noise(when I stop abruptly) and trying to isolate it down. Unfortunately I am at hotel tonite (at a wedding for Saturday) and won't be leaving until Sunday. So I am a little concerned.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I highly doubt it... The only way grease is going to work out is from use... Oil and water do not mix. Describe what your hearing and feeling in the steering or floor boards more..

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Noisy joints on arms usually creak more than pop...I have heard track bars make a popping sound.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its weird...when I stop abruptly is when I hear the noise, which maybe is not a popping sound, but its a metallic clank of sorts...dang I just wish I could explain it more... I noticed again when I made a sharp turn going over a speedbump (of all things).....which made me think it was a control arm making the noise.

(Side note: When i crawled under my jeep, I DID notice my vent tube line was off my diff, but didn't see any noticeable gear oil coming out of it, so I would believe the diff is fine.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noisy joints on arms usually creak more than pop...I have heard track bars make a popping sound.
I have the factory trackbars in. I just use the Poly Track bar brackets. Because of the clanking and popping sounds that supposedly aftermarket trackbars make.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Could be the steering column issue... I had to grease the boot on the steering column where it comes through the firewall. That took care of my popping sound. Do a search for the write up... It's worth a try...

·
Registered
630 Posts
it very well may be just a loose bolt in the control arm. That is where I would start. It could be one that you had was not properly torqued and the water helped it loosen up a bit more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I just got home, the wedding was awesome.

I noticed the sound is more of a "chirp" and its when I initially apply the brakes...its really weird. I am going to service my front diff tomorrow...I have a really weird feeling that its low. But regardless I am going to recheck everything...the lift is just plain freaking awesome. It was extremely stable on the drive down even at speeds upwards of 75mph at certain points....never once did it handle in any scary way. So I absolutely without a doubt know this is THE RIGHT KIT for me. Now to just get it off road.....a my Jeep Club went to Rausch Creek in PA this past weekend, where we went to our friends wedding instead.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I figured it out. It appears that my billet aluminum bump stop is just a little to close to the front drivers spring and I think when i tap the breaks and the spring compresses it rubs the bump stop....I never noticed it until Friday night, after the long drive (that was the single longest drive for my Jeep since I lifted it).

So, I am going to have to now, redrill another hole to recenter the bumpstop between the spring better...damn that sucks.

And I seriously need some gears in this thing, that kicking in and out of O/D constantly going over hills (we call them mountains on the East Coast, but you guys call them hills out West. lol)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts