JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after lurking, hoping, dreaming, and wishing. I have finally pulled the trigger on the start of the Repower of my old JK. (Is a 2008 JKU Rubi old?)

Pre-Hemi swap It's has the following.
In 2009 it got an Old man EMU 2" kit, and we ran around on 35's for a while.

In 2011 - 2012 ish it got the Rock Krawler 3.5 Mega-Pro-Whatever they were selling in 2011 lift kit. Ask me how I feel about the long term durability of Rock Garbage. Shocks garbage, links are all toast, death wobble engaged.

Now it has Metal Cloak links/swaybar/ect in the rear, and the new radius arm kit is in the garage ready to go in. It death wobbles far less frequently.

It also now sits on 33's because my friend always complained about how tall it was. Now that it's going to be Hemi powered, maybe it's time for 37's.

Front axle is a Dynatrac Pro rock 44, because the stock 44 decided to get a divorce from the passengers side axle tube just past the trackbar mount on the highway going to moab at about 60mph. Thanks to the Jeep gods for saving my family and I on that one (ok thanks RK and your weld in trackbar bracket). I like the Pro rock a lot. I just wish it had a gear oil drain, but meh. This is life.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Plant

As far as the 3.8 (Blaaa.....) it's had a Banks Cat back and cold air for nearly all it's life. Also Banks tuner running the 91 tune. To say that it helps is a stretch, but yes it helps. It runs better at sea level then in Colorado (yea I know), but still not good.

Recently it has taken to marking it's territory wherever it's parked. Well by recently I mean the last 3 years.

So. Junk 3.8 out, new junk 5.7 in. (No I'm not doing a 6.4, I think that 450hp is just fine, and if it's not there's always our friend whipple)
Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Building Automotive exterior

I have in the garage a 2009 Truck 5.7L ready to go on the engine stand. I'm going to take it apart, have it gone through at the machine shop and put back together in the home garage. With a few spicy upgrades. For future proofing.

-Comp Cams Stage 1
-Comp Cams valve springs, retainers, ect
-Forged 6.1L Crank
-Forged Rods / Pistons

I'm thinking about getting the SRT 392 intake for it, 90mm Throttle Body, ect.
I'm also thinking about shorty hooker black headers for it. Please weigh in should you so choose.

It's also getting a Getrag 238 out of an 09 ram. Yes Manual, because it's a manual now and it's going to stay that way. (Even if I have to destroy that little 238 and get a tremec/atlas whatever combo.) Plus I think that manuals are an anti-theft device for today's current generation. AND THEY ARE A RIOT TO DRIVE.

I have this fantasy of fabbing all my own stuff for the conversion, based on watching too much Hot Rod Garage and Roadkill, and buying a Harbor freight welder, but I'll probably be buying the Jeep Speed shop kit. I'll post updates on that one.

Till next Time.

Super Moderator
Welcome to JKO.
Good to see you've identified most of the trash in the equation.
Now to just steer you away from Hemi, JSS, HF and towards an LS 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to JKO.
Good to see you've identified most of the trash in the equation.
Now to just steer you away from Hemi, JSS, HF and towards an LS 馃槅
Well that ship has sailed...

Also HF engine stand = GARBAGE.

Building Wood Engineering Composite material Gas

In other news the Hemi looks to be in decent shape. Off to the machine shop next week.

Also to those of you who think that you don't need impact sockets... my two dead 15mm sockets disagree with you. There was one very stubborn head bolt on the left side, back of the block. (but only one.) Had to rattle it with the 1/2 air impact for lets say longer then I felt comfortable with. BUT, then it came out. So... ARB Head bolts are now on the shopping list.

Wood Cylinder Automotive tire Gas Machine

Till next Time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Small update:

The getrag 238 arrived!! Looks to be in decent condition. It's out of a 2008 Ram 1500.

I see that the getrag has two positions for the shifter, I'm wondering if I can move it back. Also I'm looking at lowering the height of the black shift block. From looking at another JKO writeup, that install required a 1.5" body lift kit. I don't want to do that. We'll see. Maybe that's a pipe dream.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Tread

Don't worry you two you'll be united soon...

Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Car

Heads are off the Hemi, looks like the right side will need a couple new valves and new valve train. Not a big deal and I could probably run the thing and do nothing, but I want to kick the can of doing nothing to after I install everything. Also new parts are on order. Ugg.... COVID and new fun long lead times. 5 weeks to get the cam, 6 weeks for pistons. But meh it's also winter here so, this is going to take a little while.

Oh and I bought a can of Hemi Orange engine paint.... because Hemi.

Till next Time.

Registered
2015 JKUR, 4.5" of lift, 37's, 4.88's
I can't wait to see (and hear) the transformation!

Registered
Small update:

The getrag 238 arrived!! Looks to be in decent condition. It's out of a 2008 Ram 1500.

I see that the getrag has two positions for the shifter, I'm wondering if I can move it back. Also I'm looking at lowering the height of the black shift block. From looking at another JKO writeup, that install required a 1.5" body lift kit. I don't want to do that. We'll see. Maybe that's a pipe dream.
View attachment 365841

Don't worry you two you'll be united soon...

View attachment 365842

Heads are off the Hemi, looks like the right side will need a couple new valves and new valve train. Not a big deal and I could probably run the thing and do nothing, but I want to kick the can of doing nothing to after I install everything. Also new parts are on order. Ugg.... COVID and new fun long lead times. 5 weeks to get the cam, 6 weeks for pistons. But meh it's also winter here so, this is going to take a little while.

Oh and I bought a can of Hemi Orange engine paint.... because Hemi.

Till next Time.
Well that ship has sailed...

Also HF engine stand = GARBAGE.

View attachment 365827

In other news the Hemi looks to be in decent shape. Off to the machine shop next week.

Also to those of you who think that you don't need impact sockets... my two dead 15mm sockets disagree with you. There was one very stubborn head bolt on the left side, back of the block. (but only one.) Had to rattle it with the 1/2 air impact for lets say longer then I felt comfortable with. BUT, then it came out. So... ARB Head bolts are now on the shopping list.

View attachment 365828

Till next Time.
The shifter can and will need to be moved to the rear location, unfortunately it's not that easy. The internal shift rail will need to changed for the Durango style but luckily is still available through Mopar. I recommend downloading the assembly manual for the 238 to get a feel for what is involved.
Also, if you run the shorty headers the body lift is not needed,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The shifter can and will need to be moved to the rear location, unfortunately it's not that easy. The internal shift rail will need to changed for the Durango style but luckily is still available through Mopar. I recommend downloading the assembly manual for the 238 to get a feel for what is involved.
Also, if you run the shorty headers the body lift is not needed,
I think that you mean the Dakota style here. I'm not aware of the Durango ever having a manual trans. But I could be wrong there.

And thanks a ton for the info. I guess I'll be tearing into the Getrag after all (sigh...), Would you recommend changing anything else out while the guts of the tranny are exposed. You wouldn't happen to have a part number would you?

I'm guessing that it's this.
Font Auto part Parallel Drawing Machine

Rectangle Font Electric blue Parallel Brand

Also, I found a service manual for the 238, but it's not in great condition. Is there another source I can get one from? I have no problem paying for it.

Attachments

Registered
I think that you mean the Dakota style here. I'm not aware of the Durango ever having a manual trans. But I could be wrong there.

And thanks a ton for the info. I guess I'll be tearing into the Getrag after all (sigh...), Would you recommend changing anything else out while the guts of the tranny are exposed. You wouldn't happen to have a part number would you?

I'm guessing that it's this.
View attachment 365856

View attachment 365857

Also, I found a service manual for the 238, but it's not in great condition. Is there another source I can get one from? I have no problem paying for it.
My mistake, yes it's a shift rail for a Dakota and that is the correct part number. I was fortunate enough to find a new nos transmission so I just replaced the shift rail so I'm not sure what other wear items to replace once it's open. These are not the easiest transmissions to to find parts for, there is no aftermarket support so all parts are from Mopar, or some places have some nos parts left.
Here is a free download a link for the G238 manual. Dodge Getrag 238 Service Manual | PDF | Manual Transmission | Transmission (Mechanics)

You may want to either replace or modify the shifter. This is what I used. Core Shifter w/ chrome stick for Dodge Dakota & Mitsu Raider : 2005-2009 w/ 6 speed (Getrag 238)
I just ordered the base and waited to order the stick after everything was in place to get the shifter where I wanted it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts