JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
My thoughts.....

Looks friggin great! I like how you integrated a skid plate into it.

I might have angled the bottom corners a little bit in for clearance instead of doing a 90 degree. Like this: \___/, instead of this |_____|. I know that's more work though.

If you didn't through-weld those clevis tabs to the plates, I'd at least strap a saftey strap to them (use your tree-saver strap) the first time you actually put a huge load them. You might want to do that instead of testing your welds by hoping a flying shackle doesn't kill someone. Hopefully, you beveled the edges and did an underlying pass before the final pass at welding them on. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but it looks like the weld is predominately on the plate and not the tabs (not centered on the 90 angle). It's probably fine, but I'd do a good test before using them unsecured.

Question: Did you allow for easy removal of the winch for maintenance? It's hard to tell by the pic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those tombstones are not going anywhere. There is a hole cut through the 1/2 inch plate, edges 45 on the front.....on the rear the tombstone was also 45'd. then welded on both sides. But you are right safety is paramount so I will strap them just in case...

The winch can be removed if needed. Hardest part is lining up the holes.

Thanks for the compliments though...
I made a plate like that for myself and plan to saftey strap them, just in case. Actually, with the winch on the front I'll probably just attached the winch line to the d-ring as a saftey strap.

haha. I'm still laughing at "tombstones". I haven't heard one that before. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.