JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had ordered a MOPAR offroad bumper with winch mount and foglamp cutouts. I had read good things about these bumpers, but the dealer just asked for ANOTHER $75 in additional shipping, which is making this bumper approach $600 and a bit pricey...sending me back to square one.

I prefer OE accessories because they usually retain the overall original look of the vehicle, and also because I tend to trade in often and get more for my vehicle when a dealer sees an OE accessory mounted on. I do not intend to do serious rock crawling. I am looking to mount a Warn 9.5 ti winch, to gain some added clearance over the stock bumpers, and for the Jeep to look good.

So, help me decide what to do:

1. stick with the MOPAR bumper for all the reasons listed above for about $600 by the time everything is said and done.
2. I like the looks of the Olympic Rescue bumperhttp://www.olympic4x4products.com/front-bumpers/517-rescue-bumper#b and it is inexpensive (about $336), but I lose the foglights and any semblance of "stock" when I trade it in.
3. I also like the Rugged Ridge Modular bumper: it seems a fairly flexible concept; looks a bit like the MOPAR and I can retain the foglamps.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped ARB for Rugged Ridge and am happy I did... good quality for a small price tag
Can I ask why the switch? The ARB bumper appears to be a high-end product...

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
You can always retain your stock bumper for trade in if you think the dealer won't like aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Aldo,
I have the Mopar front bumper. It is quite nice, but I think you should check around a bit before you buy a brand new one. There are people on here selling used bumpers for a decent price.

I found mine on Craigslist. I picked it up for barely nothing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aldo,
I have the Mopar front bumper. It is quite nice, but I think you should check around a bit before you buy a brand new one. There are people on here selling used bumpers for a decent price.

I found mine on Craigslist. I picked it up for barely nothing.
Good idea, Spillidge. But all the stars need to be aligned. I can't find anything local. The only used Mopar bumper popping up is in Houston.

After speaking with a few Jeep dealer who have the bumper listed online for cheap is that it doesn't pay to ship this thing: it's too big and heavy so I end up saving nothing...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My opinion:

Mopar accessories, in general, are over priced and inadequate. The bumpers are OK but they are thin and I've seen them bend. I had the rear w/tire carrier that I bought spur of the moment. Wish I wouldn't have but I was in need of a rear at the time.

Rugged Ridge, seems like a decent bumper, people like them, not my cup of tea. I believe it's made in China too, whether or not that sways you I don't know.

If the Olympic is your only other choice, that gets my vote. Functional, looks good, good price tag, made in the USA. Can't speak to how it will hold up though.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've got the Rugged Ridge front and rear bumper and love them both

·
Registered
781 Posts
I swaped OEM for Bulldog for Smittybilt for Poison Spyder and never looked back.

If you dealer trade in then OEM may get you more $ but I guarantee it's pennies on the dollar. Buy a respected brand and the guys that know what they're looking for will give you way more than dealer. Keep your OEM and swap it back on if you trade in since I guarantee you'll get more $ for the aftermarket bumper through forums like this or Craigslist vs what the dealer would have given credit for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts