JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am sure many of us have been to several other websites discussing write ups on our JK's.

Has anybody thought about adding some of them to this website?

"Copy and Paste" is a great function....lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Adding write ups to the forum is a great idea, but I would advise not using the copy and paste function. If you are installing a product or doing some form of maintenance that you feel is significant enough to be written upon than by all means whip out the camera and type one up. Some of the write ups on other forums are very detailed and time consuming. As helpful as they are it would be sketchy to post them on other forums without them knowing or without giving them credit for their work. I am sure that as this forum grows the write up section will grow with it. MichaelW has a few good ones on there and as soon as I get around to reinstalling my CB I'll probably make one regarding the CoolTech CB kit. Everyone has a different way of doing things and thats what makes these forums interesting. Feel free to add to it yourself!

-Casey

·
Registered
15 Posts
Adding write ups to the forum is a great idea, but I would advise not using the copy and paste function. If you are installing a product or doing some form of maintenance that you feel is significant enough to be written upon than by all means whip out the camera and type one up. Some of the write ups on other forums are very detailed and time consuming. As helpful as they are it would be sketchy to post them on other forums without them knowing or without giving them credit for their work. I am sure that as this forum grows the write up section will grow with it. MichaelW has a few good ones on there and as soon as I get around to reinstalling my CB I'll probably make one regarding the CoolTech CB kit. Everyone has a different way of doing things and thats what makes these forums interesting. Feel free to add to it yourself!

-Casey
I agree 100%, I have a Tuffy Overhead console that I still need to install along with my scanner in it. I forsee many write-ups coming :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not advocate cutting and pasting writeups unless you yourself did the writeup originally. What is going to happen when someone trys it and gets stuck? Who are they going to ask for help? Think about it.
I say if you want to check out that other site for info on cheap/free/useful mods and write ups please do. Then when you do them write it up here so it is your personal experience talking and not someone else's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not advocate cutting and pasting writeups unless you yourself did the writeup originally. What is going to happen when someone trys it and gets stuck? Who are they going to ask for help? Think about it.
I say if you want to check out that other site for info on cheap/free/useful mods and write ups please do. Then when you do them write it up here so it is your personal experience talking and not someone else's.
Very well said!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. i see your point...

If its created, I'll definately support it. If its not created I'll just go to other websites to be curious on what they are doing and maybe tell somebody on this website (not trying to be conceided, just being realistic)

some answers to your questions -
What is going to happen when someone trys it and gets stuck?
ANSWER - Add a link where you got the write up

Who are they going to ask for help?
ANSWER - If link is added, have them go to that website

The way I look at it. This would be a one stop shop for ALL writeups from ALL other websites.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well.. i see your point...

If its created, I'll definately support it. If its not created I'll just go to other websites to be curious on what they are doing and maybe tell somebody on this website (not trying to be conceided, just being realistic)

some answers to your questions -
What is going to happen when someone trys it and gets stuck?
ANSWER - Add a link where you got the write up

Who are they going to ask for help?
ANSWER - If link is added, have them go to that website

The way I look at it. This would be a one stop shop for ALL writeups from ALL other websites.
Grant it would be way better to say I saw this on such and such a site, and it looks neat than cutting and pasting even if you posted a link. Now if you want to write up something you did personally then go for it and be the guru on that topic till someone else does it better or comes up with another way to do it. My reasons still stand if you personally do not have the experience of doing a mod #1 how do you know it works and #2 how can you help others perform it? If I were to use the other site as an example let's say I wanted to cut and paste the drill the mirror mod (I am sure all oldtimers know it) and someone had a question. Would it be better asked here or where it has been discussed for several pages? There is also a lot of info on making doors off mirrors over there including a good one on relocating the mirrors and how to remove the mount and fill the hole. I have never done it but that is one I would cut and paste however I could not answer the first question about it thus sending folks to the other site to get answers. A clearing house for good mods is a great idea in theory however it would send folks to join so many other sites in order to ask questions that they may say this site is full of copycat idiots and not worth the time.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
I would love to see a clearing house for write ups. Its a great idea.

However there are many reasons and the first one being ethical about cut and pasting someone else's work.

I think the best we can hope for is that everyone will put their own write ups here and contribute to the community. Those that have done write ups else where could cut and paste their own work here and that will help build the write ups. Eventually where there is the most information that can be freely shared will ultimately be the clearing house in the long run.

I encourage anyone and everyone to share their write ups, even if it is a simple as changing your oil to building a tubed out desert racing JK from scratch. ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
If I post any existing writeups that were previously posted (over there) in this section, I'll just go find all related Pic's that I saved in(Picasa2) and re-do in here. No problem at all because one thing about your own writeup, after doing all that work you never forget the HowTo. For some of those enormous write-ups that are in other places, these could be shown as a "Link" and directing whoever to the "Writeup" .

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang... i forgot about this post.

Probably because of I've been visiting other websites for write ups;)

On a serious note, i see both sides of the story.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
I see both sides of the story. But I dont see ANY problem w/ yanking the write ups from an 'ethical pov'. Its not like youre plagarizing a major work of fiction. It's just a matter of linking them to where you got it so they can use that for help if they get stuck.

IMO, every write up the other site has that this one doesnt is yet another reason for newbies to get suckered into that horrible forum. That's pretty much how they got me for 1200+ posts.

But what do I know, I'm just a message board whore.
:D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts