JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this recently, the wife's JK seems to go through a lot of oil, but no leak, 66k on it.

"Oil consumption stems from carbon buildup on the valves and rings. Allowing the engine to ingest a top end cleaner through the brake booster vacuum hose can free the valves and rings of carbon deposits and minimize oil usage."

Any input on this? What product to use? I've done a lot of things, but never done this, you just pull the vacum hose off the break booster and pour it down the hose? Running I assume?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Top end cleaner will never hurt. There are many variables in oil consumption. Poor PCV systems that allow excessive oil into the intake, poor valve seals, poor rings, cylinder wall tolerances..a number of things.

GM's "top end cleaner" is about the standard in off-the-shelf cleaners.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kool Thanks, I'll pick some up today, have to do a water pump might as well do this if I have to heat up the garage.

So, you got a Cuda? Had a 70 440 6 Pack, Shaker, 4spd car, one of the many I miss....

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Kool Thanks, I'll pick some up today, have to do a water pump might as well do this if I have to heat up the garage.

So, you got a Cuda? Had a 70 440 6 Pack, Shaker, 4spd car, one of the many I miss....
Any of the GM dealers should have that cleaner in their parts dept.

Yes I do have a Barracuda, definitely not the quality of drivetrain as what you had however. Have owned it for 7 years now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I read this recently, the wife's JK seems to go through a lot of oil, but no leak, 66k on it.

"Oil consumption stems from carbon buildup on the valves and rings. Allowing the engine to ingest a top end cleaner through the brake booster vacuum hose can free the valves and rings of carbon deposits and minimize oil usage."

Any input on this? What product to use? I've done a lot of things, but never done this, you just pull the vacum hose off the break booster and pour it down the hose? Running I assume?

Thanks
I've always used Seafoam. It not very expensive and you can get it at walmart or local parts stores. You have to have the engine to normal operating temp before doing this. I think there are a couple write ups about this. With the vehicle running you slowly pour the contents of the bottle into the brake booster line, about 1/3 of the bottle. Careful not to pour too much too fast so the engine doesn't stall. After its all gone, turn the engine off and reconnect the hose. Let the vehicle sit for about 5 min. Then, start the engine up again and hold the throttle so the engine is about 2000 rpm until the exhaust stops producing heavy white smoke. Then take it for about a 15 min test drive to further clear the system out. I usually put the rest of the bottle in the gas tank to clean the rest of the fuel system. Might not be the best or most clear instructions, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always used Seafoam. It not very expensive and you can get it at walmart or local parts stores. You have to have the engine to normal operating temp before doing this. I think there are a couple write ups about this. With the vehicle running you slowly pour the contents of the bottle into the brake booster line, about 1/3 of the bottle. Careful not to pour too much too fast so the engine doesn't stall. After its all gone, turn the engine off and reconnect the hose. Let the vehicle sit for about 5 min. Then, start the engine up again and hold the throttle so the engine is about 2000 rpm until the exhaust stops producing heavy white smoke. Then take it for about a 15 min test drive to further clear the system out. I usually put the rest of the bottle in the gas tank to clean the rest of the fuel system. Might not be the best or most clear instructions, but I hope this helps.
X2 for the Seafoam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.