JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sorry, I've only ever welded once before in my life, back in 1980 when I took a couple day course on gas and stick. I thought I could do better, but my job as a painter takes most of my time (I'm not very good at that, either.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an amateur stick welder who has taken only one 10 week class and I can tell you for SURE that that looks like shit. He could have at the very least ground those welds off and had someone who knew what they were doing try to go over his. That's just terrible. And I could have done a better job and I only halfway know what I'm doing. I wonder if he tried to weld over the paint or something. I wonder if that snapped off at one point and he tried to fix it just to sell it? I dunno, it's sketchy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
As a former welding inspector I would fail that weld in a second. It's a "gorilla" weld. In fact just from what I can see I'll bet that there was no heating performed to the Heat Affected Zone in an effort to keep both thick and thin sides at the same temp in order to prevent both pre and post cracking. Most probably the wrong weld rods were used. The outside says a lot about the inside. :surprise:

PS. He should have let Vic weld on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ad said it was done by a local four wheel drive shop. It is not one that is well regarded. I saw it and couldn’t believe they want $2000 for that axle.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
As a former welding inspector I would fail that weld in a second. It's a "gorilla" weld. In fact just from what I can see I'll bet that there was no heating performed to the Heat Affected Zone in an effort to keep both thick and thin sides at the same temp in order to prevent both pre and post cracking. Most probably the wrong weld rods were used. The outside says a lot about the inside. :surprise:

PS. He should have let Vic weld on it.
^^This, those are fugly

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
"A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain't"

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
"All Modifications Professionaly performed by Desert Rat Off Road Center"

:wink2:

·
Registered
360 Posts
if you are too lazy to pull the housing apart, take the seals out, preheat the housing, then use a high nickel rod, and cool the assembly slowly, then don't weld on the cast. this is what they look like when you just blob the MIG wig into the metal, then when the weld cracks, instead of grinding it out and doing it right you just blob over the cracks. All that aside, its probably fine. the truss doesn't need a lot of penetration on the housing and other than ugly its ok.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Good lawd. Is that our Chuck with a grinder in his younger days? On a second closer look at the picture it appears to me (peering thru a 1/2 cataract) that the slag wasn’t removed prior to rattle canning(?). :surprise:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts