JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RCW 70.120.170 states, "(1) The department shall administer a system for emission inspections of all motor vehicles, except those described in RCW 46.16A.060" yada yada yada...

Then RCW 46.16A.060 states, "(2) The following motor vehicles are exempt from emission test requirements:
(a) Motor vehicles that are less than five years old or more than twenty-five years old;
(b) Motor vehicles that are a 2009 model year or newer"

Does this mean that I will not have to pass emissions since I own a 2012? Meaning can I do an engine swap in the future(assuming the law doesn't change) and not have to worry about inspections?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So you won't need to get emissions checked until your vehicle is at least 5 years old. That would put you at 2017 for your first emission check. And then every other year.

You would only need to do it the one time because they are phasing out the program in 2019

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2015951255_emission19m.html

But honestly, you can get an engine swapped vehicle to pass emissions with the right programming/tune. And if you are unable to pass, you can still just "pay a shop to look into it" to get an emissions waiver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe that it means once your rig hits 5 yrs old you will have to have a emissions test done to it. SO any built after 2009 till current are exempt. If this really bothers you, just move out of King, Pierce or Snohomish county and you don't have to worry about it at all. Down in Olympia here we don't have testing. But I also believe that if you wish to swap a different motor into it, you can put what ever you want, as long as its the same modle year as your rig or newer. So you would need a 2012 or newer motor. You couldn't put in one from a older rig, unless you were to re-tag it as a ORV only. Then it wouldn't matter what you do, but it wouldn't be street legal then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts