JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post here as often as I should, so here's a look at the bumpers and TC that I fab'd up. I have a few things to add then I think I'm going to have them either powder coated or Rhino lined (or similar). I did the front first, as the wife bought me the winch for Valentines day and I wasn't wasting any time getting it put on.

The front is just a basic stubby w/ the winch recessed down 4 inches, I didn't want it covering the whole grill.

The rear is a simple design as well.

The tire carrier is a much different design, I didn't want to use a separate latch for it. I wanted it to open w/ the tailgate, since they don't both open on the same radius I made a armature w/ 5/8" Heims on each end. Here's a few photos.

Closed.

Starting to open.

Open.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Damn! Nice work AZ! Both bumpers look awesome. Your swing away is mint. I really like the way you attached it to the rear door. A lot of the swing aways out there are so wide they partially block the license plate. You found a way around that problem.

Put up some new pics when you get it painted. Good job! :beer:

·
Registered
749 Posts
AZ,..awesome fab & finish on everything....love the stubby & rear bumper. Definitely got the "LOOK" now.:beer::beer::beer:

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm happy w/ the way it all came out. I made a mid-length front first but I just didn't like the look, at full compression and the wheel turned in all the way it only had a couple inches of clearance. I definitely like the stubby better. I'll get some photos up after I get them coated, if I ever decide which to do.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Wow!! Those look every bit as good as the commercially available bumpers. Nice fab work. FWIW, I'd have 'em rhino lined. Seems to hold up better than paint or powdercoat in my experience.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Those look great - especially like the tire carrier design! Any thoughts to reproducing them for some cashola???

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'll take the rear tire carrier...can it be mounted to any bumper?

with a flat top surface?

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Definatly some nice fabbing there!

I too am impressed with the ingeniuty of your tire carrier.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definatly some nice fabbing there!

I too am impressed with the ingeniuty of your tire carrier.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:
Thanks, I probably should have waited until the finished product to post pics. The final one will be mitered, a little different bracing, and a shorter arm.

Very nicely done. A very clear solution on that tire carrier. :smokin:

Is the tire and carrier solid when you're driving or do they move about?
Good question, it's about 98% tight (does that make since?:shaking:) I'm planning on a sprung pin (dowel) type set up to keep it tight.

I like it nice work :smokin:

The rear tire carrier/tail gate latch is similar to the Expedition One prototype that I saw a while back. I remember thinking how clever that was :smokin:
That is a nice set-up, are they selling it?

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've built many F/R bumpers and TC's, this is my first TC that's attached to the gate. With that said I should have it perfected this week and have some better photos, thanks for all the complements everyone. Mitchell.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've built many F/R bumpers and TC's, this is my first TC that's attached to the gate. With that said I should have it perfected this week and have some better photos, thanks for all the complements everyone. Mitchell.

Can't wait to see more pics. That is some cool work. I might have to try something like that. We've been toying around with different ideas, but I didn't think of something like this.

How about a video of it opening/closing! :)

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't wait to see more pics. That is some cool work. I might have to try something like that. We've been toying around with different ideas, but I didn't think of something like this.

Thanks, I did buy the wife a new video camera for x-mas. :smokin:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Very nice work there, I love the rear TC!!

A

·
0 Posts

Looks like we have a little fab work to take care of after Moab:smokin::smokin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts