JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well, camber to be specific.

Perhaps it's just that my eyesight ain't what it used to be, but it appears that both front and rear wheels have a positive camber to them. It was also noticed by a friend who was following me.

2010 4D Rubicon
2 1/2" Tereflex spring lift w/ shocks
35" BFG MT KM2's

I parked the ride in my garage (level slab), and cut a small piece of wood to span the rim only. Then I placed the piece of wood vertically on each rim, with a small level. The bubble was "slightly" positive on the rear wheels, and more pronounced on the front (positive camber means the top of the wheels are pointing inward...yes?).

I haven't wheeled hard on this yet, just some overland runs.

Is this usual, or should I see an alignment shop in town?

Although, I'm assuming there isn't much that could be done for the rear wheels, but the fronts may need new ball joints with some sort of offset?

Whaddaya all think?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just to take the possibility of the wood being slightly warped out I would try to verify your findings with a more reliable sort of straight edge. i.e. metal square or the like.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
its normal
most vehicles have some camber especially on the front wheels - this makes them corner better.

only time I'd worry is if it starts becoming drastically different from side to side (check balljoints and unit bearings - both prone to failure)
Or if in increases overall a lot. then look for bent axle tubes/C's

·
Registered
803 Posts
Top of wheel(s) inboard is negative camber.
Make sure you have a straight edge to verify it or have an alignment shop check it for you.
If your camber is out verify if you have bend front C's, worn Ball joints, sloppy wheel bearings or worst case a bent axle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm scheduled to visit Off-Road Evolution to get gussets welded on the front. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me if there's a problem or not.

The rig only has 9,500 miles on it. Hopefully nothing's worn out already.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks pluke and bodyguy. Interesting information. I'm assuming that there's little to be done about camber adjustment for the front wheels, other that ball-joint replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts