JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed Off Road Only's AiROCK suspension on My JK yesterday.
The install is straight forward. Basically all You do is replace Your coils with their air bags, replace the shocks and run the wiring harness and air lines.
The nice thing about AiROCK is I can use it now with stock tires and when I get 35's all I'll have to do is change a couple of height settings with the controller. Nothing else to buy!!

I started with a stock "X" with Rubicon tires and wheels.
The measurement from the ground to the center of the lock cylinder was 40.75"

Heres some measurements with the AiROCK installed....

40.25" all down
48.50" all up
44.25" offroad setting
41.25" on road setting

I braved the icy rain to take some pics today!

Heres the control unit mounted.

Heres the controller.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leaning forward.

Leaning backward.

Couple shots of the front end...

Thats all the pics I took. If You're looking for something else let Me know.

It only been a day but I can tell a difference already!
The ride is alot smoother!

The "active" mode is cool too! It automatically compensates if the Jeep leans while taking a sweeping curve by inflating the bags on the outside of the turn to keep the Jeep level.
Another cool feature is that You can have it automatically lower the Jeep when You turn the key off! Makes it alot easier for the wife to get in and out!

There is alot of brains built into this system too!
If You're in "off road mode" and You reach a pre-set MPH, the system automatically lowers to "on road height" and locks the SwayLOC if You have one installed. You can adjust the pre-set MPH between 20 and 35 MPH.

All in all I'm very pleased with it so far!!
I'll be sure to update this thread after I take it wheeling to let You know how it did.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Was it a very expensive kit? I like the looks of your jeep at the all up mode..:smokin:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sounds like the air systems in my Rovers. They are incredible in every way.....until you put about 60,000 miles on them......then the air bags and the entire system develop leaks and it becomes a nightmare. I converted both of my Rovers over to coil springs. I'm not saying this will happen with this kit....but I wonder what they've done to prevent these types of shortcomings. Love the concept, ride and other benefits....but I just don't believe in the longevity of an air suspension system. Can anyone expand on what they've done to increase the life of these systems?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a couple flex pics today.

Besides the air bags and new shocks that came with the kit My suspension is stock. All stock control arms, track bars etc. I had 30 PSI in the tires and I was at My "on road" height like in this pic.......

Heres the flex pics....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
so, when you raise and/or lower it, what happens to axle positions (left to right) and caster and pinion angles?

it would seem to me that it would be useless to have more than one setting, as it would shift your axles, effect toe, and driveline angles everytime you change it.

you couldn't align the jeep, then change the height, because it would make it ride like ass in the different positions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You adjust everything with the Jeep set at its on road height. That way everything handles great while driving down the road.
At off road height the small change in the geometry of the steering etc. isnt an issue at the slow speeds You wheel at.
If Youre at off road height and start going fast, like blasting down a core road or runnin' sand dunes the AiRock will automaticly deflate the bags back to Your on road height for safer/better handling. You can adjust the MPH pre-set between 20 and 35 MPH. You can also have it automaticly latch the front SwayLOC swaybar if You have one installed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mine is officially the 3rd installed since Andy got his shocks before me. Kits showed up at the same time. Ours were the semi-prototype setups. 14K miles, no problems except 2 blown air lines. Both my fault.

Ron

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just wondering, what happens if you poke a hole in a bag? Does the entire system leak down or just the damaged one?
I blew an air line to the front passenger bag on the much underconstruction freeway here. Drove fine for the 10 minutes till I got off the freeway. Compressor was fine, just not to happy about it.

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ron's writeup on the install is excellant for anyone getting, or thinking about getting the Airock. I just installed mine, and used his writeup more that ORO instructions. System seems good so far-- i will try wheeling it tomorrow. For the front air springs, I manage to run the line straight up through a factory hole in the top of the spring tower. Don't know if this would have stopped your 'accident' but I don't see how anything could damage it withought doing a ton of damage to the spring tower -- at that point you got other problems. Biggest concern it seems is heat burning through a line as most of the lines are protect by my skid plates and frame. I wonder how hard, expensive it would be to run braided line...

The bags are firestone -- maker of most air bags in the OEM world. the JK bags are some ORO found made for some other vehicle by firestone (think it was some kind of winnebago or something. ) apparently made for 20 years so theoretically, if they wear out or punction, we should be able to replace them pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.