JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just ordered some black rock D-window steelies and while i was on Qtec's site i decided to grab a set of gorilla's low profile valve stems. they weren't very expensive and i figured it was a smart idea since i've destroyed valve stems before. my only problem i foresee is airing down in a timely manner with this setup. i have the currie EZ tire deflator and love it, but it can't be used with this. the low pro stems have the valve core sitting down inside of an internally threaded recess. the currie deflator, like many other brands and styles of deflators, is designed to screw onto the external threads of a typical stem. the only real solution i see is just unscrewing the core with a valve core tool. i have done this in the past, but i'm not a big fan due to the fact that:
1) you have no way of monitoring the pressure as you go
2) the core is not captured in any way and is likely to fly off into the dirt/rocks/mud/wherever if you're not careful
3) re-inserting the core with air rushing out can be tricky at times, again leaving you with the possibility of launching the core into oblivion while your tire spews air

anybody have any experience with this? here is a pic and the link for the product page to help you understand what i'm talking about here

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92040_06.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'm not surprised with the difficulties, these don't really seem like they're for the off-road crowd. Removing the valve core is about your only reasonable solution, seems like a bad choice for the application.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
FWIW I have the same wheels. Run regular valve stems, wheel at least once a month, moderately hard, and have not had a valve stem impact that actually damaged the stem in the last year and a half.

37 X 12.5 MTR's on 17 X 8 black rocks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Knocking off valve stems is a pretty common problem where I wheel.

Your best bet is just to use standard rubber stems and learn how to jam them in with a screwdriver for quick trail repairs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i'm probably just gunna go with the regular old rubber ones. that's what i get for being drunk while spending money :gluging: oh well, at least they weren't expensive

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
yeah, i'm probably just gunna go with the regular old rubber ones. that's what i get for being drunk while spending money :gluging: oh well, at least they weren't expensive
yep and at least I saw this and alot of my questions about this product has been answered.... thank YOU!

sorry you were kinda of a guinea pig! lol

by the way I love my deflator too. ARB = Currie

anyone want to by my Shittybuilt I mean Smittybilt tire deflators? I hate them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had wheels with low profile valve stems like that once. They came with an adapter that you would screw into the low profile valve stem so that you could inflate/deflate the tires. Its called the "filler tube"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had wheels with low profile valve stems like that once. They came with an adapter that you would screw into the low profile valve stem so that you could inflate/deflate the tires. Its called the "filler tube"
yeah, but there are no threads on the one end of the filler tube. it just screws in to the internal threads on the valve stem and has a pushrod that depresses the valve core when it is pushed from the other end. there is no way to remove/replace the valve core with the filler tube in place and there are no threads for my deflator to screw on to.

and as for the tr-412's, i think i'm just gunna go with the shortest stems they have at the shop when they mount and balance my tires. if they're longer than the 412's, oh well. i'm really not THAT concerned about the stems. i just thought the low pro stems were a good idea until i had them in my hand to look at them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts