JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So about two days ago this light came on (see pic)
It comes and goes with bumps or turning it seems..
My concern aside from driving me crazy is.. My airbag system malfunctioning or god forbid deploying.. Any input would be great! Or at the very least how to just turn the light/chime off!

View attachment 33317

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I think it's your clock spring going bad/ shorting out. Dealership may be the solution.

What's up with the CEL?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's your clock spring going bad/ shorting out. Dealership may be the solution.

What's up with the CEL?

ya thats what i been reading....i absolutely hate going to the dealer for anything:pissed: but safety is a big thing....i guess:shaking: another issue is there is no dealer up here(closed) i think there might be one 30 miles north but what a pia!
ya sorry for the bad cell pic..

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
169 Posts
So about two days ago this light came on (see pic)
It comes and goes with bumps or turning it seems..
My concern aside from driving me crazy is.. My airbag system malfunctioning or god forbid deploying.. Any input would be great! Or at the very least how to just turn the light/chime off!

View attachment 33317
the light is on because it has detected a problem and your air bag(s) may not go off in the event of an accident. clockspring could be bad, but it is an expensive part to replace on just a guess. Have to take it to a dealer to diagnose.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the light is on because it has detected a problem and your air bag(s) may not go off in the event of an accident. clockspring could be bad, but it is an expensive part to replace on just a guess. Have to take it to a dealer to diagnose.
See they would tell u it's bad just to make a couple bucks too..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine come on and it was a bad connection under the passenger seat, probably after some stuff was push to hard and broke a wire, have to replace the complete seat harness. Check engine isn't suppose to stay on if that's an airbag problem, the airbag light take care or those info

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mine come on and it was a bad connection under the passenger seat, probably after some stuff was push to hard and broke a wire, have to replace the complete seat harness. Check engine isn't suppose to stay on if that's an airbag problem, the airbag light take care or those info
this, check your connections under-seat. also, idk if jeep does this, but with fords, they will blink a certain number of times,

say blink 3 times, pause, blink 7 times... this is a code 37 which can be looked up, does it blink at all when you turn the key on? more than likely it will be a clock spring since you said when you turn the wheel, definately a dealership fix IMHO, although some have DIY'd it...

edit, you can also check the connection that is in the steering wheel, there should be a harness connection on the driver door side of the wheel, you may have to take off a small panel to see it, but check that as well, as this could cause a problem while turning...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine turned off after I cleaned my connectors under the seat. With all the water that's always it my jeep I'm suprised it doesn't happen more often.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Could Be

Clock Spring
Seat Position Sensor malfunction
Airbag

I have replaced the Airbag $275 and the clockspring about $275.

Still have the light but no chime.......... Mine is a seat position sensor issue I have yet to resolve. BUT I AM WORKING ON IT !!!

:pissed:

·
Registered
865 Posts
mine did this 2 years ago. dealer replaced the driver's seat (go figure) under warranty. started again in Moab last week intermittently.

they started by changing the passenger seat belt assembly, problem returned after a couple of days. then they changed the switch that controls that light, problem returned after a couple more days. then i got the new 2010 drivers seat ( in an 08 ) and fixed. until now.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Mine's been on since I flooded int interior and then ripped out the rugs. Although I kinda think it might be a clock spring issue, there is play in the wheel at the wheel to shaft connection. I have about 3/8" of front to back play at the top of the steering wheel, it knocks when i do it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check all of the connections under the seats...............Just installed PRP Recliners and no issues...........
Good call I'll have all the seats out ect in few weeks to bedline I'll check them all pretty good

·
Registered
22 Posts
Clock Spring
Airbag

Still have the light but no chime.......... Mine is a seat position sensor issue I have yet to resolve. BUT I AM WORKING ON IT !!!

What was the resolution to this?

SEARCH feature used.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Clock Spring
Airbag

you bought your clockspring at the dealership I am guessing?

It's $100 less on amazon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My airbag light is on also. If it is something I need to bring it to the dealer for, lifetime warranty will fix it. Of course I'll have to bring to the dealer twice to fix it. It's funny though, airbags and how we feel we need it. My old Jeep came with no seat belts, they weren't required back then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air bag light on, 2011 jk

I just replaced the clockspring and my airbag light is still on. All other controls are working again on my steering wheel. What should I check next? Under seat connections?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts