JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbag light is on and the code is U0171, lost communication with right up front airbag sensor. I got a new sensor and cleared the codes with snap-on solus pro scanner but the code comes right back as soon as you start the Jeep. Any ideas what to look at next?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Clock spring

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
What is clock spring? Is it caused by a lift?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
clock spring can show no communication with the right front sensor? I was thinking usually when the clock spring is bad the horn doesn't work?
my clock spring is bad..horn works fine

Reactions: robothegreat

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The sensor in question is located in the area of the right headlight, on the radiator frame.

U0171-LOST COMMUNICATION W/UP-FRONT RIGHT SATELLITE ACCELERATION SENSOR

When Monitored:
The Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) continuously communicates with the Front Right Impact Sensor over the sensor signal circuit. The sensor communication and on board diagnostics are powered by the ORC signal.

Set Condition:
This code will set, if the ORC and the Front Right Impact Sensor do not establish and maintain valid data communications.

Possible Causes

SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY

SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

FRONT RIGHT IMPACT SENSOR CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER

FRONT RIGHT IMPACT SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

FRONT RIGHT IMPACT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER (ORC)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi
Had the same error registered with the Starscan and the reason of the persistent code was the cable from the front right airbag senzor (white-blue) which was interrupted/broken.
With the Starscan we could not delete the error at all it returned over and over again!
It tooked us some time to discover where the intreruption was cause we need to dismantle almost everything starting with the air filter, tipm, battery & entire plastic support, etc to follow the entire circuit from the sensor which was ok! to the inside of the center console.
Fixed the broken sensor cable and everything was ok dash airbag light went off.
I'll try to put a pic with the location where the senzor cable was broken (behind the Tipm)!
Cheers
John

UPDATE:

that's why we need to dismantle as mentioned above the right side to the engine compartment (battery, TIPM, etc.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi
Had the same error registered with the Starscan and the reason of the persistent code was the cable from the front right airbag senzor (white-blue) which was interrupted/broken.
With the Starscan we could not delete the error at all it returned over and over again!
It tooked us some time to discover where the intreruption was cause we need to dismantle almost everything starting with the air filter, tipm, battery & entire plastic support, etc to follow the entire circuit from the sensor which was ok! to the inside of the center console.
I'll try to put a pic with the location where the senzor cable was broken (behind the Tipm)!
Cheers
John
Pics would be awesome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Need to check the 2 wires at the impact sensor. Get a wiring diagram.....I could get you one but not until Monday. If I have a wiring diagram to look at I can give you exact directions to find the problem. And half the stuff I've read in this thread sounds pretty ridiculous. U shouldn't have to completely take apart anything at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IrishCoffee you are the man. Just tore out the battery, etc. Pulled back on the wire loom got the ohm meter out and found a break in the white/lt blu wire. The key was following the white blue wire out of the harness plug where it connects to the front sensor. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
IrishCoffee you are the man. Just tore out the battery, etc. Pulled back on the wire loom got the ohm meter out and found a break in the white/lt blu wire. The key was following the white blue wire out of the harness plug where it connects to the front sensor. Thanks alot.
Welcome! I consider that placing those cables there/or such IS NOT at all a good idea! When I'll have more time I will insert those cables inside a flexible tube! Vibrations, which in a diesel are much higher, causes in time such a mess. Anyway, good you've located the interrupted cable and bind up you white-blue wire....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi
Cheers
John

UPDATE:

that's why we need to dismantle as mentioned above the right side to the engine compartment (battery, TIPM, etc.)
This is the pic:

Reactions: robothegreat
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.