JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my OBA system and I'm wondering if any of you had an idea on where I could mount my air tank.

My compressor will be under the hood using Dominions Offroad's bracket. It seems that any options available for the 2007-2011 JKs will not work with the 2012+.

I'm currently thinking about relocating the Evap and mouting the tank there or relocate the muffler and mount the tank behind.

Any thoughts/ideas?

And yes. I searched :thefinger:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
I relocated my muffler on my 07 JKU under the driver seat and put air tank where it was. Just pick a muffler that is skinny enough to full tuck up horizontal above the frame rails.

does that make sense?

Something like this:

·
Registered
619 Posts
You could mount a tank between the radiator and engine like the Vair kit does.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could mount a tank between the radiator and engine like the Vair kit does.
I don't think that will work on the 3.6L. The radiator hose is in the way. I have a 2 gal Viair tank that I've been mocking into different locations. Changing exhaust would definitely give you more options. I'm planning on mounting it in the rear cubby and building a gear box over it. It sits about 2" above the floor height if you take the plastic box out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that a circular tank is structurally more sturdy that a square one, but anybody know of another vendor that makes air tanks than Viair??? Maybe with a different shape?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did about an hour long Internet search and couldn't even find a skinnier 2 gallon. They were either the same diameter, around 6" or fatter. I'm sure you could have one custom made by a decent fab shop, not sure what they would charge though. I think I would depend a lot on which compressor you use. The Viair my buddy has runs 200 psi where my ARB runs 60 psi. The stress on the metal at 60 would be a lot less and a square tank might be practical.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.. first problem is finding a decent shop.. I can't even find one to get my truss welded :(

My compressor is running at 150 psi.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Try mounting it to the roll bar behind the light. I used "square" u-bolts and a piece of 1/8" plate. 2 1/2 gal viair tank, and I don't even see it in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Try mounting it to the roll bar behind the light. I used "square" u-bolts and a piece of 1/8" plate. 2 1/2 gal viair tank, and I don't even see it in the mirror.
How would it survive a roll up there? Any pics? I am thinking of mounting my tank on the molle panels sold off ebay that go on the top front of the rear wheel wells (4 door).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have photos of your compressor mounted? I just ordered my 2013 JK yesterday so curious where I'm going to mount. Wanted to run the ARB twin compressor but doesn't sound like there is room?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I mounted my 1 gallon tank in the storage depression in the rear of the JK under the storage platform I made. Everything is inside and out of the dirt.

I mounted my ARB Twin Compressor under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I mounted my 1 gallon tank in the storage depression in the rear of the JK under the storage platform I made. Everything is inside and out of the dirt.

I mounted my ARB Twin Compressor under the passenger seat.

Very nice and clean install. I wonder if the bigger viar tank will fit in the storage area...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have photos of your compressor mounted? I just ordered my 2013 JK yesterday so curious where I'm going to mount. Wanted to run the ARB twin compressor but doesn't sound like there is room?
I haven't had time to install it yet. We I do, I'll post pictures.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

M

·
0 Posts
I rebuilt the factory roll cage fr strength and looks, but in the process I decided to use it as an air tank. The compressor fills it as I walk to the next tire. Fills 4 37 inch tires in 5 minutes. I don't run air tools, just air down and up. Arb compressor mounted under hood direct to battery with switch inside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts