JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JK has a viair setup. It works well but is a bit slow airing up tires. I have considered going with either another viair constant duty setup or an arb. Then it hit me, why not use a contractor air setup? Cheaper. Just run it off an inverter. Any down sides other than size? Anyone done this?

· Registered
1,218 Posts
I met a dude on a run who was using a portable harbor freight viair style compressor. Cost him 50$ from harbor freight and it filled up his 4 37s, my 4 32 and my buddys 32s before it over heated. Not to mention this was in Phoenix and it was like 100 that day. It was quick, it was easy and he had it for over a year already and it works great

I'll try to find the link on harbor freights website

Edit: here's the link

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-150-high-volume-air-compressor-69285.html

· Registered
1,060 Posts
dont forget a engine driven compressor, thats the route im going asap. i have the compressor just need a mount and tank
I am in the middle of doing a York compressor setup

York pump. Free from a dumpster at a big rig service centre.
New clutch from Ryder 90 shipped
Belt and idler 25 from rock auto parts.
Manifold and various fittings. 25 so far need more
Air tank 3 gallon. Free just need to modify.
3/8 NPR tap to tap the head of the pump $15

So I have spent so far $155 and I expect that I may spend another 50 to 150 depending on how elaborate I get.

A little over $200 for oba air that will pump enough to run air tools and fill up a 37 tire from 10 psi to 30 psi in less than minute is incredible value. Just need to make a bracket though. The brackets you can buy is ridiculous expensive. Better to make your own bracket if you can.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had looked into the york. May go that route eventually. I have to get the genright coil over towers in first to see what happens to the space. Probably just going viair since I know they work (just a little slow). May go the 200psi constant duty route this time. I use a regulator tuned down to 110 for output.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I had looked into the york. May go that route eventually. I have to get the genright coil over towers in first to see what happens to the space. Probably just going viair since I know they work (just a little slow). May go the 200psi constant duty route this time. I use a regulator tuned down to 110 for output.
That sounds like a great idea in a way. Running a tank say a three gallon at 200 psi would be like a six gallon at 100 psi. Also if your setting a bead on the trail a rush of high pressure may help.

I did look at electric but they seemed expensive for what you get.

· JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
Are we not considering co2?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This.

I have an ARB on board air, went this route to be able to run an eventual locker and air up.. It does fine airing up. Just slow.

Found a deal on a used powertank setup and wanted it to be able to re-seat a bead on the trail. But I find myself using it more and more. Simply for the convenience and the fact that its airs tires up much quicker.

My vote is for co2

· Premium Member
1,399 Posts
$1500 :suicide:

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not really interested in CO2. While I like the York setup I just don't think it justifies the price difference. We will see how the viair 200psi 100% duty cycle setup works. I HAD amazon gift cards...

· Registered
913 Posts
No joke! I could get three of the viair 200psi setups for that and that includes tanks, fittings, pressure switch, etc. Maybe I need to start buying lottery tickets... that was a joke, gambling is a tax on folks who are bad at math.
Yeah, I wish too.
I got my dual 480's and a tank used for 175. I was thinking of adding one more 480 to make it a little faster!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.