JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with ScanGauges what are your intake air temps running at? and with what intake?

My intake air temp runs about 20°F hotter than the ambient air temp when on the freeway with the Airaid intake. Anything from 40-70°F hotter when around town in stop and go traffic. Haven't had to chance to monitor it off-road yet, but would expect it to be similar to around town, maybe a little hotter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That sounds about right for stock. When I was in Moab, I did not have a saw, so I drilled some holes in the hood and used some wire cutters to remove the metal between the holes. That cut the IA temp half and the 1700 mile trip home was much better. I now have the intake tube and IA sensor insulated and an AEV snorkel. Temps driving to work max out at +10 now when I'm stuck in traffic and about +3 when when the throttle is open more than 20%. Off road the temps climb higher. I will insulate the air box when I get a chance. Too many other things to get done before that.

Phil, since you still have a stock hood and have a good sense for what your IA temps run, please try insulating just your IA sensor. I insulated the tube first and then the sensor. I would be interested in see what just the sensor would do, but not enough to take my tube insulation off!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil, since you still have a stock hood and have a good sense for what your IA temps run, please try insulating just your IA sensor.
I insulated the sensor first, no noticeable difference. I then insulated the tube with some header wrap I had laying around, with some aluminum foil under it (don't laugh!). Temps on the freeway dropped by a good 5°, so now I'm at 15°. I let it idle for a while and it never broke +30°.

Before doing anything I checked some temps with an IR thermometer, this was at idle after a quick test run:

Air Temp - 90°F
ScanGauge IA - 119°F
Air Filter - 118°F
Intake Box - 127°F
Intake Tube (Filter End) - 132°F
Intake Tube (Middle) - 156°F
Intake Tube (Engine End) - 162°F

I know it gets real hot under the hood and have even considered some of those hood vents.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought that might be the case with just doing the sensor only. Here is a picture of when I had
just the intake tube insulated.

I do not have a picture with both insulated, I will do that tomorrow. I will also add vents to help
when off road.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did put the hood insulation back on after installing the snorkel. I'm sure I had a good reason at the time... I will be out this weekend and I will check the temps with it on and with it removed.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just removed the hood insulation and at first it looked better, but then went back to normal, IA temp actually went up a little. Water temp and IA temp both were lower than normal for the first 5 miles, but as the heat built up they slowly climbed up. The IA temp went a little higher normal, I suspect due to not having such a good seal to the hood without the insulation.

It just gets hot under the hood and I suspect nothing short of venting it will help much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts