JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a new one for the fab shop/garage lol. What are some of you guys running? I want something serious but still affordable somewhere around 800-1000 bones.

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
What do you plan on using it for?

Just zipping of tires? Porting a set of heads? Sanding a car?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I would like it to be able to run a air over hydraulic ram for a bender until I can make it full hydro

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ive been eyeing the ones at tractor supply they sale farmhand and ingersoll rand. You can pick up a 60-80 gallon 3.5-5 hp single stage for 1000 range. Should be more than adequate for the home d.i.y.er...im all for overkill so im looking at a 60 gal 5-7.5 hp twin valve set up...i wanna be able to hold a paint gun on for hrs!!! Know i never will but i work on air compressors and know what i like...if i ever come across a good deal on a single stage i'll probably pounce on it.. Lowes sometimes run their camp hass 60 gall on sell for 500 range..would be a great time to snag one. What ever you get be damn sure to change that factory oil after a few weeks...don't want to lock up the valves

·
Registered
393 Posts
Theres also two at harbor freight that look awesome. Both 60 gallon, both 5hp 220v, two stage systems, one is 638 and the other is on sell for 799....they look identical, can't find a difference. Both are able to punch out 13.5 cfm at 165 psi... Both stainless steel valves and cast iron compressor....intriguing will have to do more research

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They may look awesome but are they really awesome. I'm looking for longevity as well

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
393 Posts
All a compressor is; tank,motor, pump. All are interchangeable with others. Motor burns up, replace with a dayton,baldor, or ge, pump locks up replace pump with same specs..you'll get your life outta them and pretty much all the pumps on air compressors, be in ingersol rand, quincy, kobalt, husky, central pneumatic, etc. are almost identical

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unless you put down some SERIOUS money, you are going to get an import motor and an import cylinder (usually from Italy IIRC). Nothing wrong with them, as long as you get a cast iron unit. My dual stage 6.5 HP with a 60 gallon tank was about $650 at big R (think coastal, or some other farm store). I had a motor issue after a year, fixed the centripetal switch for the capacitor start disconnect, and it's been running great ever since. It is 11.2 CFM @ 90 PSI, which is more than enough to drive air tools, air/hydro cylinder on a ram, etc. I haven't used a die grinder much though, and it can't keep up with my 3/4 IR monster impact gun, but I never expected it to!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. I may just go with a more budget minded air compressor. Like the kobalt 80 gal 5 hp 16 cfm at 90 and is rated to 155 psi.

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I got this going on, and it works great. Also plumbed a second line above the ceiling that goes into my back garage and hooks up to another 50' retractable reel like the one here...
Campbell 6hp 220v 60 Gal. Runs everything I need all day long. I bought it slightly used, as clean as you see it here, from a distressed business for $500.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Co4lo that's a great looking setup. What kind of cfm does that compressor deliver

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the input. I may just go with a more budget minded air compressor. Like the kobalt 80 gal 5 hp 16 cfm at 90 and is rated to 155 psi.

Sent from my cup phone
That quincy you linked to isn't a bad unit for the price either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a good one on Craigslist. I'm picking it up next weekend. It's a napa industrial air compressor 5hp baldor motor two stage pump and 80 gal tank. It puts out 16 cfm at 175 psi for 600 bones! Wow

Sent from my cup phone

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good deal. I have an old Sears-Roebuck compressor (20-gal, 220v) someone left at my house. Bought another random compressor (30-gal, 110v) for $50 on Craigslist. Spent $125 running drop lines in the garage- one on each side of the main garage door (hose reel at one drop) and one at my work bench. Replaced a regulator on one compressor, pressure switch on another. I have under $300 in my entire set-up and I'll pretty much never run out of air (50-gal capacity with two motors) and I can connect just about anywhere I need to. I put the compressors in the corner of the garage behind the door to my parts washer closet so they're not even taking up space I'd use otherwise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
picking up the air compressor today. Should be fun the sucker weighs almost 600 lbs

Written in history by way of rock and chisel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts