This real is my first time flaming a company. I ordered a steering gear box and pump back in July. The charge went through on the 15th of July. I was told 4 weeks to build the gear box and pump. I under stand company's get back logged and said ok. Called to get a status report on 8/8/14, was told it would be about another week till the gear box would be done and was not sure at that time if the pump was done? Called again on 8/21/14 (twice) was told on the first call that there was a leak at where the welder welded the box (by the way the welding is subbed out). And they would have to get another box from the welder and it would be another two weeks. So, the second call I asked if there was anyway to expedite my order that I have been unable to drive my JK since July 12. And my son is going back to school and I would not have his cherokee to use anymore. At this time I was told once it comes back from the welder it is set out to a machine shop for machining. This brings us to 9/8/14 (three calls this time), come to find out that it had been sent to the machine shop but the machinist was on vacation. And it "should" be ready to ship on 9/18/14. At this point well you guessed it, I'm pissed. It's getting cold and rainy here in Kansas right now and I'm having to dual sport it! Second call talked to the office manager about a refund being I had waited so long and was not able to wait any longer. She told me she could not do a refund till Friday 9/12/14. I explained that I need the money back on my card to purchase the parts from another vendor so I could get my ride up and going after waiting so long. Nothing she could do about it. I said "more of the good customer service". And asked to speak to someone higher up than her. She said there was no one. I said "there's no president or owner". Her response they will just direct you back to me. At this point she said she is ending this conversation, and hung up on me. Final call, I ask wait needs to be done to get my refund. And she said a email to her. I sent a email to her and sent a BCC to my wife. My wife received the email. As of 10:00 pm. I called my Visa company to see if any refunds are pending (NOPE). Also no response from AGR regarding my email. Resent it again tonight. So, after all this I went through PSC had all my parts in three days. Should have just setup at first and I would have been able to enjoy the second half of the summer in the JK.