JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to JKO and first want to thank JKO for have such a great site.

First off up until about about a year ago I had an 08 JK unlimited Sahara. It was great, but unfortunately as all good things come to an end I bought a travel trailer and of course the jeep would not pull it.

So here is the question....

I would like to purchase a new Rubicon, but am undecided as to an Automatic or Standard. What is the general consensus here about each one. Is one really that much better then the other.

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Nick

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I would suppose everybody has preferences, but I would go manaul.

I have had both and really I wasn't sure which one I wanted when I bought my 2dr Rubicon. After driving the auto, it seems like it's just an old tech tranny. Shifting seems a bit sloppy and you couldn't really choose your gears. I drove the manual and found it to be much quicker and you could hold your gears. I find the manaul is smooth shifting and in the two door hardtop I would even venture so far as to say the thing is peppy. The auto was a bit frustrating to drive, where the manual is fun.

I drive to work about 60 miles a day in city traffic and have not regretted the manual at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me it was a simple matter of whether I wanted to screw around with shifting all the damn time while juggling a coffee cup or something else while battling traffic or rocks.

We're still swapping parts on the '09 Rubi so it hasnt seen any wheeling yet. Our built up XJ/Auto needed a bigger trans cooler but wheeled great in the rocks.

My other two rigs in the sig are both sticks - hell the Toy has three and the CJ has four of them...

Perhaps I'm lazy... but I went with the auto in the JK and I'm glad I did. It'll get a bigger trans cooler for sure if the OEM unit is on the tiny side.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Like said, Personal preference.
I ride a Jockey Shift bike and I really don't want the hassle of shifting anymore than I have to.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Mines a manual. LOVE it around town and in mud. Im new to wheeling in general and seem to have a little bit of a hard time not riding the clutch too much when wheeling on rocks. I'm sure it will come with practice but the first rock pile I hit I was like **** why didnt I get an auto heh.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Got a manual and love it!:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are advantages to both and draw backs. What has helped the Auto is the low-stall torque converter, for the holding back going down hill. The ability to shift gears on a hill climb without the loss of momentum. Draw backs are if your battery is un-able to start the engine, you cannot roll start the vehicle. I have had many of both type of transmissions over the years and for the last 10 years I have had the Automatic. I do run it through the gears by moving the shift lever to do what I want it to do. The auto allows me to concentrate on other things instead of shifting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a manual and find it to be just about perfect for what I use my Jeep for. The tranny is made by Mercedes Benz in Germany and shows. If you haven't driven one with a stick, make sure you do before you buy one with the auto. I could go on and on about how well suited it is to this type of vehicle but I won't. Just go drive one. On the other hand, an auto tranny is just a lot easier to use off road. Especially rock climbing and such. If I was out west where this sort of thing was readily available to me, I would have paid the extra money for the Auto. Which brings up another point. Why do you have to pay so much more for an old tech, 4 speed auto over a high tech 6 speed German made manual?

Bottom line is simply this. The manual is great but if you do lots of serious off roading, you probably would be better off with the auto.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2dr Rubicon with an auto. No problems. Throw on a MagnaFlow muffler, gives it a little more umph.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Manual for sure....I think more overall control. I have an 07' with 55k miles.... I am looking for a hand throttle though? Haven't' seen for the new JK's yet?

I really like the ability to crawl/idle with no gas or no feet. When hunting and exploding we ride outside the vehicle while idling and reach in to turn occasionally.

Way more versatile with the auto. And for towing it is a no brainer.....manual!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
It's preference, If you use it more for around town I'd go with the auto. If you want the reliability and positive drive of the manual go with it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've had both manual and auto for my 4x4's.Having said that,I prefer auto hands down,jmho :smokin:

·
Registered
63 Posts
All personal preference since there is virtually no gas milage difference anymore.

For me. I didnt want to fry clutches when wheeling in deep water and mud and hated the idea of trying to use a clutch while crawling on rocks.

Plus, I'm just too lazy to shift anymore. I put plenty of time in on manuals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well guys I appreciate all of your responses. My previous JK was an Auto, that being said I think I might stick with the Auto. I really like the idea of being able to concentrate on the trail rather then the shifting....also my wife is unable to drive stick and someone needs to drive me home after a Friday night.

Thanks again.

Nick

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Since I can't stand hydraulic clutches I am auto and loving it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts