JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for a double din radio but will be basicly the same for a single din,just a different kit. and dont mind the dust, i guess it gets everywhere

i used the metra double din kit and the metra chto -03 harness thats for the infinity system. the nice thing about the harness is it has the reverse and VSS and brake wire ( i bypassed the brake and ill tell you how) all in the harness. the bad side is its a large harness and there not much room to stuff it in the dash but it will all fit. now to bypass the D# you need to remove the mute wire from its harness and there is a empty slot directly across from where it was, put the mute wire in that spot and ground it and the p-brake wire. this will bypass the e-brake and make it so you can enter addresses while moving ****disclaimer**** if you wreck while whatching movies or messing with the gps, your a dumb ass, so be carefull.

first you need to remove the top portion of the dash, start at the rear and pop the back up first ant tip it up. you will most likely loose at least one of the clips that holds the rear part on, i lost both. a whole new panel is only $6 at the dealer.

next you need to remove the peice in front of the shifter, its just held on by 4 clips

now we will remove the peice around the radio, which also has the HVAC controlls on it, its held in by 4 7mm screws, you dont have to take the panel off just move it out enough to get the radio out

now you can remove the radio. in order to fit the pioneer AVIC-D3 you need to cut a bit of the radio area out, you can see in this pic what had to be cut

now all you need to do is get the harness in there and put everything back together in reverse order. heres what the finished product looks like

on a side note heres a pic of where to wire your stock 6 disc to get video out of it

any questions feel free to ask

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Hey, looks great!

Can you tell me about the headunit you chose like what features it has and why you went with that one?

Thanks! Nice write-up!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
basicly i picked the avic d3 cause i got a wicked deal on it from pioneer, through my work. it has nav which i thought would suck but its actually pretty good, it works better than my work vans cheap garmin and tom tom (i had both at one time). plays dvd video, its very easy to bypass, looks good, has ipod control and sat radio control, back up camera hook up and blue tooth. it reatails at my work for 999.99 and i got it for 400 so i figured it was a good deal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice install!

Now that is one sweet radio. Wish I could get one. Just a bit out of my wallets reach atm.

Unless you can lets say provide us with the same deal. :innocent:

:laughing:

·
Registered
689 Posts
That looks good. I contemplated the mygig set up, but opted out, that is a nice alternative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now that is one sweet radio. Wish I could get one. Just a bit out of my wallets reach atm.

Unless you can lets say provide us with the same deal. :innocent:

:laughing:

Best Buy has them on sale for $699 an you get a factory $200 rebate on top of that. So you can have one for $500 plus tax. That's what I did. Still waiting on the rebate check though.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep they are on sale this week. i didnt knwo about the rebate though, is it on pioneers site? on a side note a new double din pioneer came in the other day, its a non-nav unit and looks similar to the d3 and its about $500

·
Registered
42 Posts
yep they are on sale this week. i didnt knwo about the rebate though, is it on pioneers site? on a side note a new double din pioneer came in the other day, its a non-nav unit and looks similar to the d3 and its about $500

Yeah, it's on Pioneer's site.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i could only order one, and it was a one month thing, prob just to get rid of them, i think there will be a newer coming out

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking at the beck of the radio with the plugs on th elower side its the left plug bottom row of pins NOT counting the large pin on the end it should be the 5th and 6th pin in from the left. the 5th pin is the negative side or the out side part of a RCA cable and the 6th is the postive or the middle wire on a RCA cable. and yes i did run a monitor from the stock deck and it works great, its a little hard to figure out the controls the first time but you can figure it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sweet I'm going to pop out my head unit tonight when I get home and run an RCA out for some video watching.. Another question, does the video cut off while you are driving or will it play while you are going down the highway? I know most of the stereos that have in dash monitors will not display video while the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey, I just installed this stereo and can't get the video to work while driving. What did you do to get it to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
Orrrr you could buy a D1 or D2 for cheap and then go on Avic411.com and download theD3 software:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts