JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Brand new here, created an account so I can ask this question actually. So I have an ‘08 jk, and I bought a new radio for it and I went to go swap it out, well I ended up cutting the factory harness (awful idea right) because I couldn’t find a pigtail that worked for the life of me. As I was wiring everything up, I got a host of problems: first I couldn’t turn the factory amp on, then the ground and acc wires accidentally touched and now the car won’t start (I checked every fuse in the fuse box,🤷‍♂️), there’s a canbus + & canbus - I believe in the dash to that communicate with the head unit, and whenever I put those together, on b+, or anything else, they go crazy, turning my headlights on, and lighting up my dash with just about every error light there is. I’m panicking... any ideas as to what the **** I did wrong?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Trying to hook it up to the canbus and stock amp...thats where ya went wrong.

Get a new aftermarket amp and wire up the speakers direct to the new amp. Grab your switched hot, ground and constant hot and tie into the radio and amp.

Lots of posts on this forum and the web.....search.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts

^this x2.

You , basically, don't f*ck w/ a JK/JKU electrical or bus due to it's inherent sensitivity to ...well, pretty-much anything. You circumvent it completely or at most trigger an appropriate relay off some aux power but that's it. FCA spent 10s of millions of dollars designing such a cluster-f*ck of harness-evil + CAN bus devil-data alleys that to try to solder it to your will shall result in you mucking your JEEP up , but good.

Fwiw, you mess with ANY grounds within a given system and you're potential for fouling the TIPM up increases.

Put it back the way it was and proceed as advised by @CT Performance Inc :jeep2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't know there was a CAN bus connection to the head unit. That doesn't make any sense to me unless that has something to do with the UConnect system.

It would depend on the distance the radio is from the rest of the CAN bus network, but you could possibly leave those wires disconnected.
If things don't seem to work (JK won't start or behaves badly), you will just need to add a resistor (120 ohm) between those two wires. Don't tie either wire to power or ground.

If the CAN bus isn't happy, you won't be either. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
*EDIT* Apologies, but I have to correct myself for getting bus networks confused.

It's not so much the distance, but whether the radio is at the end of a bus segment. CAN bus requires 120 ohm termination at both the start and end of a bus segment.
It might also require them if a branch in the middle is really long, but I would have to pull up the CAN specs again to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just for a reference, though. This is the wiring pinout for the connector.

Note that the version with the factory amp only uses left right channels, not all four. That is because the factory amp only uses 2 channel input, and the OEM headunit sends the front / rear fade instructions to the amp via the canbus. Th unit I got came with the adapter harnesses. It took me a while to figure out I had to use the one with fewer wires for my '08 with Infinity amp... And I lost front/rear fade.

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p

·
Registered
140 Posts
I guess the CAN controls the head unit after you park and turn the Jeep off. Radio still plays till you open the door or times out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a New radio, install kit and harness adapter from Crutchfield. After reading this thread, I am glad I did.
I guess i will pay close attention to the wiring instructions provided from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I guess the CAN controls the head unit after you park and turn the Jeep off. Radio still plays till you open the door or times out?
I'd say so. The Seicane Android unit I installed now shuts down as soon as I turn off the key, and it loses the accessory power signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered a New radio, install kit and harness adapter from Crutchfield. After reading this thread, I am glad I did.
I guess i will pay close attention to the wiring instructions provided from Crutchfield.
Although you can tend to find equipment cheaper than at Crutchfield, I have always liked the install kits and instructions that they include (which kinda evens out the price).
It sounds like I will need to make sure I do my research when I get ready to swap my head unit as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts