JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Daystar is now making replacement hood latches for the JK that are made of a firmer material than the rubber, and that they claim will eliminate the dreaded "hood bounce". They are probably a little more expensive than black zip-ties but I think I'll try them anyway. :)

www.daystarweb.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
Daystar is now making replacement hood latches for the JK that are made of a firmer material than the rubber, and that they claim will eliminate the dreaded "hood bounce". They are probably a little more expensive than black zip-ties but I think I'll try them anyway. :)

www.daystarweb.com

hey skibum, let us know how it works out for you when you get it...i'm interested in this as well...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm interested in knowing what this thing does differently then the stock latches...from all appearances, it looks the same.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm interested in knowing what this thing does differently then the stock latches...from all appearances, it looks the same.
I think it's a stronger rubber/poly material, so it will hold your hood down tighter than the stock, relatively flexy, rubbert latches. Curious to hear how these work as well. I have the zip ties right now and they're working well, but I'd like to go with a less hokey solution at some point.

·
Registered
184 Posts
anyone know where these are being sold? I didn't see it in quadratec.com, 4wheelparts.com or 4wd.com...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finally installed the Daystar replacement hood latches today. Took less than 15 minutes, but I had to bust the old latch pins off (not a big deal cause the Daystar ones comes w/ new screws and Loctite). It's definitely snugger than the OEM ones. I haven't driven my Jeep on the freeway today so I can't confirm if it fixed the hood flutter, but I'm feeling pretty confident it will because it was pretty hard to re-latch the hood!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep us posted. I removed my hood spring and it solved all but the worst of the problem, but if these take care of it all, then I'm in line for a set.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keep us posted. I removed my hood spring and it solved all but the worst of the problem, but if these take care of it all, then I'm in line for a set.
I can confirm that the daystar replacements fixed by hood flutter :bounce:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I can confirm that the daystar replacements fixed by hood flutter :bounce:
Exactly the point I used to preach on the other site. The primary system for holding down the hood was not capable due to the insufficiant durometer value of the "rubber bands". That's why I took the route I did. Taking off the spring and bolstering up the seal were work arounds for the effect, not the cause. Glad they're working out for you!!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I never had hood flutter....could it be the removal of the air dam helped prevent it?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never had hood flutter....could it be the removal of the air dam helped prevent it?
Mine actually got worse when I removed the airdam. :confused: Got a lot better when I removed the hood spring though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts