JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the AEV tire carrier only and used a different aftermarket bumper? I Know it can be fitted with the stock bumper but can it work with another non AEV aftermarket bumper? With minor mods to the bumper of course.........

The carrier itself is probably the best carrier made but I'm not sold on the looks of the bumper.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
How can it be fitted to a stock bumper? I think you may be confused.

It still requires a spindle to be solidly mounted. In theory, you could weld in a spindle to any bumper that is strong enough to support the weight of the tire carrier. However a stock plastic bumper could not support the weight, nor would there be a way to really mount the spindle without building some sort of structure underneath.

·
Registered
32 Posts

It still requires a spindle to be solidly mounted. In theory, you could weld in a spindle to any bumper that is strong enough to support the weight of the tire carrier. However a stock plastic bumper could not support the weight, nor would there be a way to really mount the spindle without building some sort of structure underneath.
AEV sells the carrier separately just for this purpose, including a template for where the stock bumper needs to be drilled for the spindle.

It bolts directly to the frame rail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The carrier actually mounts to the frame and is separate. If you want to use the stock bumper you can modify it with a hole allowing the carrier to pass through to the frame. AEV had the carrier out before the bumper was made and many people followed this approach. Wondering if it could be used with another bumper following a similar method.

·
Registered
345 Posts

x2 on everything everyone else said.
Here's another pic showing it with the stock bumper

·
Registered
931 Posts
this is interesting.. in theory you should then be able to do it with any aftermarket bumper, if all you have to do is cut a hole to allow teh aev tire carrier to go thru. :beer:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is interesting.. in theory you should then be able to do it with any aftermarket bumper, if all you have to do is cut a hole to allow teh aev tire carrier to go thru. :beer:
That's what I was thinking. I think this would be sweet with the PSC rear Brawler bumper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You would need to check for enough space for the part of the mount that is in red in that cad drawing to fit inside the bumper you want to use. It sticks out past the end of the frame rail.

·
Registered
931 Posts
it would look sweet with the poison spyder rear bumper. :smokin::beer:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Wow inever knew that. I've never paid much attentionto the AEV bumper. First I've ever seen one not welded into the bumper. Kind of cool.

Sorry for being a tard. Lol

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
With fabrication I sure you could mount it to just about any bumper. Just depends on how much fab work you want to do.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts