JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear I have made a bad choice...

I have recently seen threads that describe tire rub with the tire size/Wheel combo I am putting together. I do not want to correct a clearance problem with spacers. I bought the wheels to avoid spacers!
My beautiful new AEV Pintler Beadlock's are still sitting in the garage, wondering what the H--- is taking me so long to get them mounted....
Here I sit, freaking out about the possibility that my "perfect plan" is falling apart.

Here is the entire picture:

2011 Rubicon Unlimited
Poly Performance 3" Stage 3 Suspension
F&R adj. track-bars
Fox Steering dampner
Fox Remote Res. Adjustable shocks
17x8.5 Pintler Beadlocks (AEV states 4.7 backspacing)
BFG KM2's 35x12.5x17

Anyone at Poly Performance reading this that might know if their lift gives Pintler owners grief?????

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't see the problem. I had a bb TF 2.5 lift with 35's and procomp 17X9 soft 8 wheels with 4.5" bs and had no rub. Put em on thats the only way you will find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the 4.7 backspacing AEV states for these wheels is actually what was being questioned in the thread I found. The person claimed That AEV calculates BS differently and actually comes in at a little over 5 inches. If I mount tires on the rims, I won't be able to return them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 3" BDS lift, and ran 35" BFG AT's on the AEV non beadlock pintler wheels for about 18 months. I had no issues with rubbing. I am assuming that the BS for the beadlocks and non is the same here - double check that, and if it is the same, you should be good to go.

JD

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think you will be fine. my rear tires with the aev beadlock only had a rib issuse after downgrading to a full craption long arm. The upper control arm in the factory location should clear just fine.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why don't you just call AEV directly? Although, there wheels have been designed specifically for the JK. I doubt you'll have any issues.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
AlecW had issues with Pintler Beadlocks rubbing with a Poly lift kit. The backspacing on those rims is high and higher than they claim as they measure it in a non traditional way.

AEV list it as having 4.7" backspacing, but using the traditional way of measuring it, a 8.5" wide rim with +10 offset has a backspacing of 5.2".

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I run 1.25 spacers with my AEV wheels. With 35s they were close but did not rub. 37s rubbed real bad. Hit the frame before the lca's it was that bad. I recommend spacers with the AEVs. It makes them look how they are supposed to with 35 or 37s. They stick out just right. And no rub.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I run 1.25 spacers with my AEV wheels. With 35s they were close but did not rub. 37s rubbed real bad. Hit the frame before the lca's it was that bad. I recommend spacers with the AEVs. It makes them look how they are supposed to with 35 or 37s. They stick out just right. And no rub.
Dang...if I'm buying an aftermarket wheel I don't wanna have to worry about spacers still...that's why I'm going Raceline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am running these wheels with 37 BFG KM'2s on a Tera Flex 4", and do not have a problem. I did have to trim the flange on top of front tower. It is a little close in the rear by the track bar links, but not a problem. When I measure the backspace of these wheel I get 4-7/8. Don't worry...Enjoy

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Dang...if I'm buying an aftermarket wheel I don't wanna have to worry about spacers still...that's why I'm going Raceline.
I know.. I will say I was a bit pissed that I had to buy spacers. But I did know they were a 4.7 backspace when I got them. Was drinking koolaid from the other forum at the time of the order. IMO lifted JKs need a wheel backspacing of 3.5 not 4.5 to hit the sweet spot. And the Raceline wheels are hot! Good choice.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have sold hundreds of AEV wheels never had anyone complain of them rubbing and my customers would complain if there was a problem they are not shy!

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alot of people are running those wheels, including myself, but this is the first discussion i remember hearing about rubbing. I am running the OME lift with 35 KM2s and the regular pintlers wo any rub

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts
+10 offset wheel with a 12.5" wide 35" dia. tire should have sufficient clearance , a 13.5" wide 35" dia. tire has a very high probability of rubbing.
IMO offset is the better number to use over Back Spacing in this regard since the latter includes thickness between inboard bead seat and inboard flange lip which may vary with different wheel designs whereas the offset number is not affected by that.
A little rant, would be nice if folks would provide full tire designations instead of just saying my 35's did rub or not since not all 35's have the same section width :shaking:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
+10 offset wheel with a 12.5" wide 35" dia. tire should have sufficient clearance , a 13.5" wide 35" dia. tire has a very high probability of rubbing.
IMO offset is the better number to use over Back Spacing in this regard since the latter includes thickness between inboard bead seat and inboard flange lip which may vary with different wheel designs whereas the offset number is not affected by that.
A little rant, would be nice if folks would provide full tire designations instead of just saying my 35's did rub or not since not all 35's have the same section width :shaking:
We use 35"x12.50 R17 BFG At's and KM2's also Procompe extreme A/ts and no rub

Jason

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am sure that many have used these wheels with no problem.
However, There are many replies here that are not helpful in figuring this out because of so many differences in build (lift/tires/wheels). That your tires did not rub on your lift does not help me. I need to know your specs. If your lift is different, or your tire size/model is different, it means little in my situation. The Manufacturer of "MY" lift (Poly Performance), says I need backspacing within a certain value range. I placed an order for wheels that are described by Quadratec and AEV as having specs within that value range. Now I find out that someone may be using a "better" or "different" ruler for "true" backspacing? Geez! wouldn't it just make sense to just use a commonly accepted method of measurement. How else can the consumer know when he is comparing apples to apples???

I called AEV this morning and talked to Mike who seemed very knowledgeable and willing to help.... "No problem they will fit" & "we don't know of any rubbing/clearance issues with 35 inch tires"

I called Polly Performance this morning (great to talk with and also very knowledgeable) "they will rub if backspacing is more than 4.7". "Searched the forums for info and see conflicting info on AEV backspacing and clearance issues".

I called Quadratec this morning (I bought the wheels from them)... I talked to Jared who wanted to help and seemed to be genuinely trying to figure this out. He tried to get AEV on the phone to get the story directly from them and also to determine if AEV offers this wheel in an alternate backspacing (which I read somewhere that they do). He was supposed to call me back before he left work today (I think he forgot.....?)

Meanwhile, the wheels are still sitting there, looking awesome ... waiting.........................................................:beer:

·
Registered
243 Posts
37x13.5" Toyo Open Country MTR will rub atleast one of the rear clayton control arms (forget which one) spacers were required ..... 37x12.5" GY MTR's will rub only on the left rear stabilizer bar extension rod (at the stabilizer) at full drop. At full drop (before the shocks bottom) the track bar "pulls" the whole axle to the right into the stabilizer extension rod.

Hope this helps. imo for hard core wheelers the AEV wheels are not the ones to go with, raceline, trailready etc make correctly offset beadlocks that don't rub. Down side is they stick out past the fenders. In my state, cops look at you twice, which I don't need.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have AEV Pintler Beadlocks with a 2.5 TF,1" BL , 37" MTR/K's and was rubbing the crap out of the frame. I added Spidertrax spacers and still rub the frame with the swaybar disco'd offroad. I need to adjust the steering stop a bit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts