JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running the AEV Pintler beadlocks? If you are, can you post up your experiance with them ? Looking for feedback from those who actually have them, not "well my brothers uncles cousins girlfriend, who is a stripper, has them and she said..." :thefinger:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been running them for about a year now and love them. They are the lightest bead lock wheel I could find. I am running 35s with stock Rubicon 4.10 gears so I wanted the lightest tire and wheel combo I could find. I don't do a lot of rock crawling here in the southeast but for the type of wheeling I do they seem plenty strong enough. Word of warning; they require a thin wall socket or you will scare up the wheels putting the lugnuts on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, what tires are you using and did you get them balanced or are they smooth enough without being balanced ? Throw up a pic if you don't mind please...thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than the obvious weight difference in the above photo...:thefinger: Thanks for the feedback gents...looks like I will be going with these beadlocks...now if I can only get the damn AEV tech rep on the phone...hey AEV...you listening??? put down the sammich and pick up the damn phone :cwm13:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pulled the trigger and ordered the AEV beadlocks. A few observations about the rims.

1. they are very light, approximately 31 lbs.
2. the packaging AEV uses to ship their wheels sucks....my boxes looked so bad that the Fed-Ex guy hung out until I opened the boxes to check the wheels for damage.
3. It would have been nice to know that the wheels came without valve stems and instead of some nice grade 8 bolts, they use some cheesy allen head bolts. These were replaced with grade 8 bolts and washers.
4. I had to use compressed air to clean out all of the threaded portions for the lock ring bolts...why you ask, because the rims were covered with aluminum metal shavings because the wheels were never cleaned up prior to packing for shipment. Almost every bolt hole had debris in it.

Overall, I like the rims and they mounted up just fine to the 37" Goodyear MTR's. I would say this though, AEV needs to learn to accept constructive criticism when a customer calls them and expresses their concerns in a professional manner... My dealings with AEV are pretty much over unless it is a product defect that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pulled the trigger and ordered the AEV beadlocks. A few observations about the rims.

1. they are very light, approximately 31 lbs.
2. the packaging AEV uses to ship their wheels sucks....my boxes looked so bad that the Fed-Ex guy hung out until I opened the boxes to check the wheels for damage.
3. It would have been nice to know that the wheels came without valve stems and instead of some nice grade 8 bolts, they use some cheesy allen head bolts. These were replaced with grade 8 bolts and washers.
4. I had to use compressed air to clean out all of the threaded portions for the lock ring bolts...why you ask, because the rims were covered with aluminum metal shavings because the wheels were never cleaned up prior to packing for shipment. Almost every bolt hole had debris in it.

Overall, I like the rims and they mounted up just fine to the 37" Goodyear MTR's. I would say this though, AEV needs to learn to accept constructive criticism when a customer calls them and expresses their concerns in a professional manner... My dealings with AEV are pretty much over unless it is a product defect that needs to be addressed.
AEV switched to the Allen head bolts a year or two ago because they are easier to install and remove due to the angle of the lock ring when torqued down. pretty sure they are supposed to yield a more even torque too.

Don't see the need the grade 8 bolts for 15 ft lbs of torque but to each his own I guess.

As far as the debris goes, I ran a bottom tap through every threaded hole in mine before putting them together and would do so no matter whose wheels they were or if I found debris or not. Guess it's just an OCD thing but I would do it for ANY wheel I bought. That said; not that it's a big deal either way; I would expect new wheels not to be filled with debris. I doubt I would call and complain about it though.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've had these wheels on my JK for 3 years. I've run them with 35's, 37's, 40's, and my current 39's. I have absolutely no complaints about them. I did change out the bolts to stainless allen's for easier install. The original bolts were a PIA to put in because of the recess milled into the ring.

I am currently selling them but only because I need a wider wheel for my current tires. I wish they would make these in a 9" or 9.5" width with a little less backspacing too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joining this forum as I just came across a set of 2nd hand Pintler beadlocks which are missing the rings. AEV doesn't offer them anymore and can't provide any tech specs so that I can have them fab'd. They say that the new 'Dual Sport' beadlock rings that they carry will not work with the old Pintler 'beadlock only' wheels. Anyone out there have a suggestion? Maybe someone has a set of rings tucked away in their garage (or maybe even one ring that can be duplicated)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.