JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was caught in a expeditions magazine and of coarse somebody had to ask.....Pics and when!

This is one of the best looking snorkel kits I have seen, I had one on my last Tj and loved it...Snorkels do not like trees BTW

Jason

Unofficial press Release (Courtesy of AEV)

Here

We're still waiting for the parts to be fully in stock before making the "official" announcement, but its tough getting the timing right while trying to give the magazines three months notice. We'll be making the announcement sometime next week or the week after with all the details, but for now here are a few key items of note:

Utilizes the vent cutout in the AEV hood, taking a nostalgic cue from the Jeep M38A1 (Google it for those who don't know what it is) deep water fording kit. for a no drill - no cut installation.
If you don't have the AEV hood, the kit comes with a trim ring and template for cutting the stock OE hood.
Comes with either a traditional "Air Ram" with an integral water separator or with the cyclonic pre-filter (shown) which is awesome for dusty dirty desert use.
Plugs directly into the factory airbox, easily removable if used with the AEV hood.
Works on RHD, LHD, 3.8 or 2.8 CRD.
Pricing should somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That really is fugly. Why do people think snorkels look cool??? Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
WHY?

That really is fugly. Why do people think snorkels look cool??? Just my opinion.
It adds the expedition look and here in AZ they work great for the water crossings and dust..also I found my old Tj snorkel acted as a cold air intake

Jason

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don’t like how it goes down most of the hood. I understand this keeps from having to relocate the battery and all and that might keep cost down but it looks out of place like that and leaves more area venerable to get damaged.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
eh, I subscribe to the "If you don't like it then don't buy it" theory but if someone else likes it, what the hell, they're the one making the payments.

personally, I think it's cool to see the bigger companies finally marketing some "hard core" accessories to the JK. :mr-t:
I'm kinda on the fence about the aesthetics, can't decide if I like it or hate it.
Out here in TX, when it does rain, roads flood pretty bad and the dust is a factor the rest of the year so I can definitely see the benefits. My GF hydrolocked her car a couple of years ago on the street.
Who knows, I may end up with a snorkeled jeep for you guys to rip on:grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A question for anyone running a snorkel...what about the electronics under the hood? I'd think you would need to waterproof all of that stuff to do it right. Right?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks like you need the AEV hood to run this thing (unless you want to break out the sawzall). It's one thing to get a decent cut with a holesaw (pretty idiot proof) but I wouldn't want to make that hood cut myself.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I actually like that snorkle. I might be able to justify the snorkle purchase, but getting an AEV hood at the same time might not be wife feasable.

Ron

·
Registered
774 Posts
I subscribe to the "If you don't like it then don't buy it" theory but if someone else likes it, what the hell, they're the one making the payments.
I subscribe to the same theory, but it still is fugly

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
It's one thing to get a decent cut with a holesaw (pretty idiot proof) but I wouldn't want to make that hood cut myself.
yeah but a hood is a lot easier to replace than the fender area where you punch the hole for most of the others.
That's actually one reason I was considering the AEV unit.
If you decide to remove it, you replace the hood and it's like it never happened Vs having a hole in the side of the Jeep to deal with.
Also I wonder if you decide to remove it, I would think an AEV vent grill from one of their hoods would fill the spot you cut on the stocker.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personally, I think it looks cool. Of course I'm a big fan of any snorkel. One of the first mods, if not THE first mod for my XJ will be a snorkel. jdemonto is right, snorkels are great here in AZ. Some of our washes can get pretty deep.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RIGHT?? WTF

Personally, I think it looks cool. Of course I'm a big fan of any snorkel. One of the first mods, if not THE first mod for my XJ will be a snorkel. jdemonto is right, snorkels are great here in AZ. Some of our washes can get pretty deep.
Thanks..Thats the first time anyone said I was right!!!

Let wheel some time!

Jason

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks..Thats the first time anyone said I was right!!!

Let wheel some time!

Jason
Sure!!

But are you sure I qualify. I only have an XJ. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts