JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to smash up my hood and this gives me the perfect excuse to get a new one, and as long as I'm getting a new one I decided to get an AEV hood. Seeing as I'm spending money on a hood I might as well go for the good stuff.

In about three weeks the family is taking its summer road trip down to Chincoteague, and the plan is to take the Jeep. As I understand it if I order basically NOW I can have the hood in about a week. The kicker is this: Finding a place to paint it. It seems like all the autobody places/paint shops nearby are already booking into July. This would mean that I'd have my new hood but most likely be unable to get it painted.

So, here's the question: Can I mount up the new, primed, hood and drive it like that and not "hurt" anything? (other than having a primer colored hood on a black JK :shaking:)

I guess I could rattle can it, but that seems pretty half assed and a band aid fix at best. Obviously its got plenty of trail pin striping so its not like the rest of the paint is perfect. I do need to do something. Currently the hood is held down with a tiedown strap and I really don't want to drive to Virginia and back with that up there.

So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
you're a.o.k. with the primer. get it painted when you can but don't worry in the mean time if it's not and already primed... mount it and run it. :beer:

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
you're a.o.k. with the primer. get it painted when you can but don't worry in the mean time if it's not and already primed... mount it and run it. :beer:
Yep.... even if you do booger it up you can fix it before paint..

If you can live with the looks you should be good to go. :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers guys. :beer:

Yep.... even if you do booger it up you can fix it before paint..

If you can live with the looks you should be good to go. :D

Will it hurt anything (or cost me more at the paint shop in the long run) to hit it with some Rustoleum Enamel Gloss Black just so that it looks basically the same color?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts

Will it hurt anything (or cost me more at the paint shop in the long run) to hit it with some Rustoleum Enamel Gloss Black just so that it looks basically the same color?
From what I understand - they will have to sand it down if you paint it vs drop it off primed and ready for paint. Creating some cost for you (labor) - no idea how much it will be. I would find out where you are going to have it painted and ask them what it would cost.... perhaps they can recommend some primer that matches the color???? IDK....

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

Please dont do that, its not worth the trouble and will piss off the painter. The E-Coat that AEV puts on the hood will be good for awhile in the sun. I put one on mine last week and I was very impressed with the quality of the coating and hood structure, you dont see that type of quality in many aftermarket sheet metal parts.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please dont do that, its not worth the trouble and will piss off the painter. The E-Coat that AEV puts on the hood will be good for awhile in the sun. I put one on mine last week and I was very impressed with the quality of the coating and hood structure, you dont see that type of quality in many aftermarket sheet metal parts.
Cool. I won't do anything to it. Definitely don't want to piss off the painter. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the primed hood, would you?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try your local auto parts store. They have spray paint to match my flame red jeep...worth a shot.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
this ^^^^

the E-coat is black so it wont look bad at all. Definitely do NOT rattle can the thing, it will all need to be stripped off.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, hood is here and its going on tonight! :bounce:

Actually its been here for at least a while. After ordering through Jason and Airpark it was here in less than a week. Awesome price and awesome service. Thanks Jason!

Here's my question of the night:

The mesh grills appear to be coated with some sort of grease. I guess thats a protective coating while stored. Seeing as the hood is not being painted for about three/four weeks and I'm fairly near the seacoast do I need to do anything to these SS mesh inserts? Should I strip these and clear coat them? Should I just wipe the grease off and run them as is? What to do???

Thanks in advance :)

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
the "primer" is an E-coat and its matt black which is how mine is painted.

Please tell me you aren't really going to sell this beast!!? So, freakin, nice!

Primed or e-coated, you'll be fine. Just avoid bird droppings and such if you still want to paint it after seeing how cool matte looks..

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree completely with bodyguy's post !!! Love my AEV hood !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts