JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
So my black jeep came with the chrome mopar fuel door cover and i really cant stand it. I was looking at buying a black one and replacing, but due to cost, i am now thinking about just painting mine black.

Any advice? I am not a big "handy man" and have no experience painting something like metal/chrome.

I want to paint it black, either matching the black color of the jeep or the black color of the fenders/hard top. Any thoughts on what spray paint i should use that will last a long time and have the "shade" of black i am looking for? Someone had mentioned spray on bedliner but i am not sure "how black" the color is.

Should i use self etching primer? If not, what method of prep should i use to make sure the paint will stick and not flake off?

Thanks in advance for your help!! I am getting better at this stuff...slowly but surely :bounce:

·
Registered
23 Posts
best bet would be to sand the chrome finish off of the cover until its a little rough in texture, use simple green to clean of and dust/particles. spray it with primer. sand. simple green. primer again. sand. simple green. then use plastidip. I think it's made by duplicolor but im not sure. A quick google search and you would find it. Use as many coats as desired. Add's somewhat of a rubbery finish but from what I've heard doesn't flake like a spray paint might. hope this helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Buying a new one would be ideal. But, considering they are quite expensive, sanding, priming, and painting will be one of your options.

This is what I did to my Jeep's black fuel door:

I removed the screws, taped the whole door with painter's tape, and then I removed the tape from the letters. I then primed and spray painted (PR4 colour code - Flame Red) the door. It didn't come out too badly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
best bet would be to sand the chrome finish off of the cover until its a little rough in texture, use simple green to clean of and dust/particles. spray it with primer. sand. simple green. primer again. sand. simple green. then use plastidip. I think it's made by duplicolor but im not sure. A quick google search and you would find it. Use as many coats as desired. Add's somewhat of a rubbery finish but from what I've heard doesn't flake like a spray paint might. hope this helps.
Ya i do appreciate the input. Sounds like a bit of a task. After buying the supplies and taking the time to do it, it may be worth it to just buy one lol. Does sounds doable though..

·
JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
C'mon....scuff it up...hit it with a little primer then hit it with some satin black..matches the Jeep black plastic fine !! $5.00 and about twenty minutes !

·
JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
Self etching is best for bare metals...and something that you want a durable base coat... gas door probably isnt taking much abuse... reg primer will be fine !

i dont even have a gas door... are they metal or plastic ? lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.