JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently became a Physical Therapy Doctor and is planning on moving to the Honolulu area to start his career. I think the most difficult task will be finding an apartment to rent in a short timeframe. Any advice you guys can give on desirable places to live or areas to stay away from would be appreciated. Are there apartment search companies that will assist people in finding apartments? He currently lives in Michigan. Thanks.

Eventually he wants to ship his TJ over:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like he will be working close to Honolulu. We know
that the traffic sucks there so he wants to be able to take The Bus to work.
Are there areas around Honolulu that he should definitely stay away from because of crime? He wants a 1 bedroom apt. Any suggestions for good apartment complexes would be appreciated.

He would love to live on North Shore but the PT jobs just aren't around there and he doesn't want the long commute to/from work each day.

The TJ will be shipped over if/when he is ready for it.

·
22,098 Posts
I know that there are some not so bad areas in pearl city and farther west in ewa beach.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
A great place would be right by Pearl Ridge mall (Aiea/Pearl City....they are adjoined basically)....there are several apt complexes there that are gated communities and fully furnished for around $1300-1600 a month (1/2 bedrooms) and would be much cheaper than the condos that most people get down in Honolulu/Waikiki.

Here's the deal for where to live and where to stay away from:

1. Waianae - DO NOT get out of eyesight of your vehicle in Waianae. We had a friend come out a couple times....first time he went to Waianae and had the rental broken into within minutes with several items taken. Next time he decided to go out to Waianae to the beach didnt leave anything in the rental car but left all the doors unlocked. The person busted the trunk lock even though you could have entered through the rear seat.
Also had a co-worker who's Jeep windows were sliced open even though they were clear and there was nothing in the back to get to with the doors unlocked!

2. Waipahu - some of Waipahu is not bad but quite a bit of it is shady areas. (But that is where 4 Wheel Parts store is for Jeep parts)

3. Honolulu and Waikiki - Not bad, but if you go down Nimitz/92 leaving that area, you will enter a shady area just before hitting the Highway/H1. Recommend not trying to go into the "hang outs" in that area as people I know (not from Hawaii) were not well received in those establishments.

4. Haleiwa - great area but quite a commute for anything...it's a tourist surf town.

5. Kailua - one of the better areas to live in due to not being REAL congested like Honolulu/Waikiki. You can hit the H3, Kamehameha HWY or LikeLike (pronounced leakie-leakie) Hwy to get almost anywhere around the island. It is on the Windward/NE side of the island. It is also home to Kaneohe Bay where some of Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed.

6. Millilani - Is a smaller area and not real congested, but issue is the traffic to/from the Honolulu area. Be prepared for long commutes (like up to 2 hours).

7. Ewa Beach - the most preferred area to live but is 20 miles west of where most things take place and work. Be prepared for LONG commutes (2+hrs). My little sister and her husband got a place there knowing he would be working at Pearl Harbor/Hickam (and I warned them about the commute). 3 months in and they broke their lease and moved closer to work.

8. Pearl City/Aiea - really nice area and centrally located to most everything. A little easier commutes plus you are right where most things take place. Leave work before 3:30-3:45 or stay at work until about 5:30 though as it's also the H1/H3/H3 highway choke points so you could sit in traffic for a while. My 12 mile commute from the west side of Pearl City toward the edge of Waikiki use to take me 30 minutes if I left by 3:45pm, about 1.5 hours if I left right at 5pm, and if I waited until 6pm I would get home in 30 mins.

9. Wahiwa - Would recommend not living there...it's right outside of Schofield Barracks and not the most desirable location unless you like living in shady areas. Lots of pawn shops for getting stuff cheap though.

10. Makakilo - A great area to live but a little bit of a hike/commute...not AS bad as Ewa but more than Pearl City (located about halfway between the two)

11. Waipio - A really nice are area to live and within a short drive to the malls, as well as right there at the outlet mall. Not to mention a short drive from the 4WP store in Waipahu.

There are other placed, but these are the biggest concentration of houses if you look on the island map.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome info on areas to live. Just what we were looking for.
Thanks!

It is worthwhile even installing one of those hide-a-trunks in a TJ that closes against the tailgate or will someone just pop the lock?

I've been there a few times and always left my rental unlocked to keep the windows from being smashed. Lots of areas along North Shore beaches with broken window glass by road side parking. Who would have thought that the theft rate of items from within a vehicle would be higher there than around Detroit, but here they just take the vehicle ( whether it is occupied or not.)

·
22,098 Posts

·
V8 dreams
3,568 Posts
Only been there once so I'm not much help. I'd love to hear about how he likes working as a PT there though if ya think about it down the road.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dad used to ride this to work from the base at Barber's Point to Haleiwa airfield where he worked as an aircraft mechanic. I took my family on a self-guided tour of the airfield in December 2012. The runway was still there but everything else was either gone or too overgrown with vegitation to recognize. Also a squatter and lots of wild pigs there.

Are any of you old enough to have gone to the "Monkey Bar" in Pearl City or can remember the name of the place without Googling it on the Inet?

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
Awesome info on areas to live. Just what we were looking for.
Thanks!

It is worthwhile even installing one of those hide-a-trunks in a TJ that closes against the tailgate or will someone just pop the lock?

I've been there a few times and always left my rental unlocked to keep the windows from being smashed. Lots of areas along North Shore beaches with broken window glass by road side parking. Who would have thought that the theft rate of items from within a vehicle would be higher there than around Detroit, but here they just take the vehicle ( whether it is occupied or not.)

glad to help!

And it is still worth the hide-a-trunk as most are made with double pin high security locks like tuffy and bestop's under seat setup. (at least the one I have has the double pin).

Most of the jeep item thefts are what they can snatch and grab from readily accessible points. :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts