JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week a guy pulled out in front of me and ended up totaling my JKU, Which sucks cause i planned on doing a V8 swap the first of the year AND it was paid for. Soooooo Im currently looking for an new one and want some input on the 3.6 vs 3.8. Im planning on running 37's and will eventually do motor swap, once the funds get built back up. Is it worth buying a Rubi Vs a Sport or Sahara. Just wand some advice from the people who have do it and how they would do it again looking back?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
If I was going to do it again. I would have bought a sport and swapped Xfer case and axles out to 60's.

If you are going to swap motors, then that means that you are going to be going for a pre 2011 so you can save money there instead of buying say a 2016 or 2017.

It sucks that it was totaled, hope you are in one piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the 3.6 worth the extra money not to do motor swap? everyone was ok, mostly bumps and bruises, except my torn MCL

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Is the 3.6 worth the extra money not to do motor swap? everyone was ok, mostly bumps and bruises, except my torn MCL
Ok that question I don't know, I am still chugging along in my 3.8.

·
Vendor
664 Posts
This is the route I went, and I am happy in general. If i had deep pockets I would do a V8 swap, but the 3.6 does an OK job crossing over the Continental Divide very often.

If I was going to do it again. I would have bought a sport and swapped Xfer case and axles out to 60's.

If you are going to swap motors, then that means that you are going to be going for a pre 2011 so you can save money there instead of buying say a 2016 or 2017.

It sucks that it was totaled, hope you are in one piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pockets arent deep, i was just in a good spot with that jeep. If a 3.6 does a good job pushing 37's, with the right gears, im good with it. The swap will be down the road due to buying a new jeep (and a kid on the way soon).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wishing you a quick recovery!

Please don't shoot me as I don't have experience moving from the 3.8 to a 3.6, but having driven the 3.6 for a few years now, I thought I'd chime in. Like Rancho stated, the engine does a good job. I don't have as big a build as you're planning, but the 3.6's power is plenty for me. In fact, the only reasons I'd go V8 would be (1) the noise, and (2) to ditch the WA580 auto trans (it’s a fine transmission, but the shifting patterns just seem off...thankfully, there's the "manual"-shift option). So, for now, I'll stick with the 3.6. FYI, I have an Unlimited Rubicon, stock 4.10s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know a few 3.6s around here that are running 37s. Gear were swapped out of course but they aren't mall crawlers either... they are wheeling them pretty hard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also... I would go with just a sport and use the funds on upgrading suspension and gears instead of an engine swap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
The interiors aren't the same if that matters to you. People say the older models seats are not comfortable. And I think the transmission selection makes a difference if you want to keep it for a potential engine swap. I think the Sport choice makes sense if you're going to do a major swap early on, but if you're going to do it over several years I'd rather have the lockers right away for wheeling. Not sure why you would care about the Sahara unless it's the only model you're finding with your desired colors/leather/nav. If you got a good return from insurance and don't care much about building it yourself, there have been some pretty stellar builds that have sold for much less that went into them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been keeping an eye on some of the pre built jeeps out there, I have most of my suspension components already bought. All I need is axles, which I had planned on getting in the next week or two (b4 the wreck happened). I am waiting to find out if I have to have surgery b4 I buy anything. So hopefully I'll get to start seriously looking next week...... Thanks for all the input!!!! Keep it comming!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Howdy,
I have an 08' Rubicon and I mostly bought it for the D44's and lockers.
I have had a great time with this Jeep, but as time and money allows,
I've sunk more and more into it.to progressively do harder and harder trails.
As of now, all axle shafts have been broken or bent, upgraded,sleeved,c-gusseted,re-geared to 5.38
Running 37's and flat fenders, going up to 38's, but it's maxed out there
until you do an axle swap, so I'm of the opinion, if you had enough dough
I'd buy the sport,and get the UD60's straight away and build accordingly around those.
Just my opinion,of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'd feel less guilty swapping out older parts on a used "sport" per say then a "new" rubicon. So if you plan to run 37 + , just get any sport or saraha.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are thinking future motor swap, be careful with gears.

Appropriate gear for a stock motor, will be too deep for a V8. This is especially so of the 3.8 where 5.xx gears are not uncommon.

I am at 4.56 with 35s, and will probably want to go to 37s when I do the Chev swap. This from Motech.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Something else to consider...If you can wait until the JL comes out do that. Prices of JKs will drop, new & used, and you might find something about the JL that really gets your motor running. :smile2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are thinking future motor swap, be careful with gears.

Appropriate gear for a stock motor, will be too deep for a V8. This is especially so of the 3.8 where 5.xx gears are not uncommon.

I am at 4.56 with 35s, and will probably want to go to 37s when I do the Chev swap. This from Motech.
If i stock, i will prob go the 4.88 gears in 1-ton axles, a motor swap would prob be a little down the road. i think i would be ok with the 4.88 once i do the v8 swap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sooooooooo, decided to buy the jeep back, and get a truck to daily drive....... stay tuned for updates!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up not having surgery( torn minicus, sprained ACL & MCL, bone bruises on either side of my knee) got off crutches this week. Will prob pick up the jeep next week and then the fun begins

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So jeep will be delivered tomorrow, and I have most everything I'm not going to use sold already, next question for my fellow jeepers, I'm wanting to run at least 37's maybe 40's and keep the COG as low as possible...... what setup have y'all seen/ are running

1 - 20 of 34 Posts