JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've fallen in love! :bounce::bounce2:
Jeep TJ & JK owners with the 42RLE, 4 speed overdrive automatic listen up! Do you dream of having multiple 4wd low ranges just like the latest and greatest after market transfer cases without having to sacrifice your bank account or prep your Jeep for some major retro-fit surgery?
Advance Adapters is proud to release the Rubi-Crawler. This new reduction unit replaces the stock 42RLE tailhousing with a 6 pinion planetary assembly featuring a 2.72:1 low range. This is a true bolt-in doubler that couples to the stock Jeep transfer case or an existing Atlas 2 speed.
And some information I found on "another" forum :shaking:
.....It replaces the factory tail housing with a doubler allowing you to use a factory t-case. so technically if you run the Rubicon setup with its 4.0/1 the doubler would make it into a 4 speed (without driveline mods). You would have 2.72 / 4.0 / 10.88 to 1 and also a high range of 1 to 1......
... check out the numbers...

JK X model w/ 3.73 and Auto - stock crawl ratio is 28.8:1

Add a doubler and that goes to 78.336!

JK Rubicon w/ Auto - stock crawl ratio is 46.6

Add a doubler and that goes to 126.752!
5.13 Gears are still going to happen first, but this is going to be a very close second! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
630 Posts
That's pretty cool. I'm guessing it will be around the $800-1000 mark, but a nice little addition :smokin:
1500-1800 mark...:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Holy crap, I thought that wasn't going to be out for awhile! Any idea on price? I want one.

EDIT: I guess I just have to read. It's not available until this Winter (so next Spring or Summer really). No price information yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great, now they need one for the AX15...;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
No doubt this will be a NICE addition, but aren't we getting a bit silly I mean a crawl ratio of over 120 to 1 DAMN that's crazy
I just calculated my crawl ratio (unless I did something wrong) I'll have a crawl ratio of 1:158.5!!!

5.13 x 2.72 x 4 x 2.84 = 158.5

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
This was listed in the new parts section of 4wheeloffroad this month. When I saw it, was the first time I went, damn, I wish I had an auto. :shaking:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just calculated my crawl ratio (unless I did something wrong) I'll have a crawl ratio of 1:158.5!!!

5.13 x 2.72 x 4 x 2.84 = 158.5
Man you will be able to get OUT of the jeep while it's "driving" and take a piss and get back in. AND NOT GONE MORE THAN 10 Feet LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
My Samurai has a 125-1 crawl ratio, I can start in 5th gear when in low range. I am glad this is coming out.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1500-1800 mark...:D
In which case I'd rather just spend the extra and put in a 4 speed t-case.
Possibly, hopefully not though. I've got no reason to say that other than AA's web site says:
Jeep TJ & JK owners with the 42RLE, 4 speed overdrive automatic listen up! Do you dream of having multiple 4wd low ranges just like the latest and greatest after market transfer cases without having to sacrifice your bank account or prep your Jeep for some major retro-fit surgery?
And on AA's home page they have Atlas II's available at $1895. Hopefully Phil's initial guess will be closer to the mark. Only time will tell. :laughing:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hopefully Phil's initial guess will be closer to the mark. Only time will tell. :laughing:
I'm in line if it is. It's not worth close to 2 grand to me though.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Alright I think I'm falling in love here, but this stuff makes me feel damn stupid (not that I'm all that bright or anything). The only ratio I understand is the 4:1 transfer case in Rubi's and the 2.72:1 for the rest of us. Folks here are multiplying tranny ratio -times- transfer case ratio -times- axle ratio -times-? But as I see this, it doesn't double everything does it? Where it's located, it can only affect the transmission gearing while all else stays the same, right? As such it's not going to slow down the JK to 3 feet per minute at 4000 RPM, right? It seems to me it's going to give those of us who are Rubically challenged a nice way to deal with those steep descents that make us X and Saraha owners have to over use our brakes. Please forgive my lack of intelligence here.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
It seems to me it's going to give those of us who are Rubically challenged a nice way to deal with those steep descents that make us X and Saraha owners have to over use our brakes.
Yes you will get better engine braking, but more importantly the crawl ratio will go way up. This gives you more control and makes climbing rocks much easier, and also allows for higher rpm at slower speeds, so you have more power going to the wheels.

For crawling, automatics generally don't need as high a crawl ratio as manuals, due to the multiplication of the torque converter, which roughly is 2:1, so an automatic with a 75:1 crawl ratio will "crawl" more like a manual with 150:1.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts