JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 4wheelpart's site and I see a few different variations of external axle tube seals. I'm looking to keep the crap out of my axles to help prolong my inner seals because they are a biatch to do.

Which brand do you prefer, and any particular reason?

There is Superior for $85

Midwest for $63

Alloy for $74

So we have a cheapest, middle, and most expensive (talking a whole $20 difference..but more $$ isn't always the best!). Which should I consider?

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I run the superior ones and other than needing to replace the outermost seal they seem to be working fine

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long did your outer seal last you?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure they'd just be something to mess with while the oil is draining. How much is the replacement seal?

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I figure they'd just be something to mess with while the oil is draining. How much is the replacement seal?
honestly I havent checked. they actually have 2 seals on the outer portion so i havent even bothered with it, I stay far away from mud and water so im not even sure why i bought them

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do all these work with the inner axle sleeves?
I don't think that any would actually. Since they come up to the end of the axle tube where these would tap in tight against the stock tube only.

I'd imagine you would need to get the new inside diameter of your axle and find one that fits that diameter tube. Though the clearances may get tight with the external seal "holder" and the axle.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
These things are a bad idea. If you do a water crossing, you WILL get water in the tubes, especially when steering under water.
Then it will only drain out part way and you'll have a tube with sitting water in the bottom of it.
AND... if you ever do have a leaky inner axle seal, you may not know about it till you have a tube full of oil and your gears are toast.
Not a fan. But that's just my .02.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AND... if you ever do have a leaky inner axle seal, you may not know about it till you have a tube full of oil and your gears are toast.
Not a fan. But that's just my .02.
Someone mentioned that on another board and I have to agree that they are a bad idea. I really would rather know if that inner is leaking immediately, hate to starve the diff.

·
Registered
204 Posts
get the seals,and ARBs covers so you can check your diff fluid weekly like I do! that dipstick is magic,I love my ARBs,and love my superior seals.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
get the seals,and ARBs covers so you can check your diff fluid weekly like I do! that dipstick is magic,I love my ARBs,and love my superior seals.
Agreed on the ARBs the dipstick is nice and easy to get to. but in all honesty I wouldnt buy them again :thefinger:

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once a week? I hardly do anything once a week, too much maintenance for me. Rather just fix the shit when it breaks. I'll keep my Riddlers!

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the superiors but haven't installed them yet - tried to test fit them once while i was doing my ball joints but it didn't appear that they slid into the d44 easily so i just pushed them to the side and finished up what i was doing.

how did everyone install them on their d44's? i imagine a piece of wood and a mallet with some elbow grease would work but didn't want to ruin them.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Once a week? I hardly do anything once a week, too much maintenance for me.
Once a week may not be often enough anyway. Let's say an inner seal goes bad on a wheeling trip, diff loses some fluid, you drive through water, water gets inside tubes, water gets in diff, then you drive 200 miles to go home.

I see the attraction of running outer seals, but they can cause more problems sometimes. The silly little plastic factory dust covers will keep most of the crud out the tubes and still let water drain and let you know when you have a leaking inner seal.

Like most things if properly maintained and checked they are not likely to cause issues, but they can.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
i imagine a piece of wood and a mallet with some elbow grease would work but didn't want to ruin them.
yup. put some grease on it to help ease it in. wood block and rubber mallet. :beer:

---edit---

something just doesnt sound right about that.....LOL

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i was thinking about thses as i ruined a inner seal in some mud on my old 2 door, but im not sure about not knowing if i do get a leak.

i know ill fill the axle tube up with oil, then the diff oil cant get out!!!!!!!!
im a genuis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts