JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my quest to save $ (plus not wanting all the extras that I could care less about) I got a bare bones JK. One downside to that is that I don't have any power convenience options and while I am not too bothered by the lack of power windows, I wish I had power door locks...

So I went looking and found whole bunch of options and choices but nothing really solid. On the forum it seams that most threads talked about older ones and issues with lack of room in the doors for aftermarket components (and since doors haven't changed much I'm assuming that it's still same??) and folks talked about using oem stuff....

Oh yeah, I popped the panel on the front door already to take a look... man it's a PITA.... the inner skin is just a major PITA when it comes to access... I couldn't figure out how to get it off the window rail....

With all that said, is there anyone here that upgraded their 2012 to power locks? What did you use? What did you like about it, what did you hate about it? What would you do differently?

Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
From what I've seen the whole process is a complete pain in the ass. I first looked into doing this myself when I bought my base X in '09 and eventually gave up on it. Wasn't that important to me. Doors are usually off anyways :bounce:

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know it's not going to be super easy :) but I'm not afraid of challenge :) Mostly for now I am curious to find someone that has done it....

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've done it, I have a '11 so it has the newer interior like the '12 and yes it's a PITA. I used aftermarket parts (DEI lock actuators), but I've done this kind of thing for a living or partial living for 13 years now. I didn't take pictures but should have. That inner door plastic and window release pissed me off and I just wanted to get it done. I did both doors(I have a 2door) and the tailgate. I had seen write-ups on the tailgate with aftermarket parts, but they drilled through the tailgate to mount the pieces. I did not like the idea of another potential rust location, so I did all my mounting internally with no holes drilled in the metal.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done it, I have a '11 so it has the newer interior like the '12 and yes it's a PITA. I used aftermarket parts (DEI lock actuators), but I've done this kind of thing for a living or partial living for 13 years now. I didn't take pictures but should have. That inner door plastic and window release pissed me off and I just wanted to get it done. I did both doors(I have a 2door) and the tailgate. I had seen write-ups on the tailgate with aftermarket parts, but they drilled through the tailgate to mount the pieces. I did not like the idea of another potential rust location, so I did all my mounting internally with no holes drilled in the metal.
Any do's and dont's that you can think of? Also how did you remove the hard plastic inner piece?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any do's and dont's that you can think of? Also how did you remove the hard plastic inner piece?
Don't just try to pull the inner plastic out, you can bend the window track. The window needs released before the inner plastic can come out. You do need to do a little prying on the inner plastic to release the window... Be careful with the window track and releasing the window, I broke a little tab on mine, but was able to fix it. You'll need to tape the window up to hold it in place when you release it or it can fall inside the door. Like I said, I wish I had waited a little while to cool off then go back to the install and taken some pictures, it's hard to describe the process without them.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just out of curiosity and maybe helpful going forward 11+... can you confirm if the inner part is still anything like this?

If so here's another write-up that could be helpful, otherwise disregard

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13393
That door appears to have the power options already, and the write up you linked is the old interior. The process is close, but not quite the same on the new interior without power options. Looks like I may just have to tear mine back apart and write up some reference material for the '11+'s if there is some demand for it.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That door appears to have the power options already, and the write up you linked is the old interior. The process is close, but not quite the same on the new interior without power options. Looks like I may just have to tear mine back apart and write up some reference material for the '11+'s if therfe is some demand for it.
If I'm ever in IN on business I'll buy you beers for the writeup :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I'm ever in IN on business I'll buy you beers for the writeup :)
Sounds good. :koolaid: I used to live in OC, been wanting to get back out there to visit, maybe I'll run into you out there sometime before you have business here.

Not sure if you've attempted this yet (I know, it's been a while). The temps have finally gone down and I've got some time off. If everything goes as planned this weekend I'll do the write up.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds good. :koolaid: I used to live in OC, been wanting to get back out there to visit, maybe I'll run into you out there sometime before you have business here.

Not sure if you've attempted this yet (I know, it's been a while). The temps have finally gone downs and I've got some time off. If everything goes as planned this weekend I'll do the write up.
I would appreciate this as well

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
it can be a little tricky.. but once you do it you can do it again quicker.. here is a mopar auto door latch kit.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/20jewr4dopol.html

. gives you the auto door latches that you swap out with the manual ones.. then you just need a alarm ,viper etc.. to trigger them that would give you auto door locks .. taking the doors apart is alittle tricky the first time. or if you find someone that dosent want auto doors.. you can swap all the internal parts.. they all come out together.. windows and latches.. i have swaped auto to manual and manual to auto by just swapping the internal parts.. or quadratec sells a auto window kit .

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Not sure if you've attempted this yet (I know, it's been a while). The temps have finally gone down and I've got some time off. If everything goes as planned this weekend I'll do the write up.
Haven't had a chance to dig into it... been fighting with my XJ's AC on and off in the meantime :( so the writeup would be much appreciated :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts