JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
6,289 Posts
So the oil in my jeep went on vacation or something, and I didn't check it, so now my motor's shot. I have a motor lined up to replace it, but now I wonder if I should bite the bullet and spring for an LS swap. Or is a Hemi swap better or cheaper?? I didn't have the $$$ to do a swap but was planning on it after the jeep was paid off.

Any input from the masses?? Or does anyone want to donate a motor swap to an idiot who didn't check their oil???

· Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prob in the 1,100 to 1,200 range, still working on shipping, i know a swap will be way way more but a friend is letting me borrow a truck untill i get it fixed so i could wait a bit so scronge up some $$

· Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I have seen hemi's done in the 10-12k range having it done, 7-10k doing it yourself. That would just be a basic swap with a +/- 30k engine.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
LS/Hemi swap in a JK

Their are ways to do it on the cheap, like find a good donor. We found a 2008 5.3L/4L60 for under $1500.00.
But you need every thing you can get to keep it cheap. than for under $3500.00 for the parts to install it, but this is a very basic kit and it will get it running.
Now for the Hemi swap you could use a 5.7L Truck Hemi and a 545RFE trans. that engine/trans is going for about $3000.00 and a complete kit is 3995.00 and you are done. Truck Hemi kit is for the 2006-2008 truck Hemi engine.

We have found the LS to take a little more time than the Hemi, I think we have the best Hemi tune out their.

We are doing a lot of comparing, of the LS and the Hemi and we like them both, but the Hemi is easier to do. It takes less time to do a Hemi, but their are a lot of Chevrolet Fans out their and I'm one.

We are willing to Help any one with a LS swap.

· V8 dreams
3,579 Posts
Their are ways to do it on the cheap, like find a good donor. We found a 2008 5.3L/4L60 for under $1500.00.
But you need every thing you can get to keep it cheap. than for under $3500.00 for the parts to install it, but this is a very basic kit and it will get it running.
Now for the Hemi swap you could use a 5.7L Truck Hemi and a 545RFE trans. that engine/trans is going for about $3000.00 and a complete kit is 3995.00 and you are done. Truck Hemi kit is for the 2006-2008 truck Hemi engine.

We have found the LS to take a little more time than the Hemi, I think we have the best Hemi tune out their.

We are doing a lot of comparing, of the LS and the Hemi and we like them both, but the Hemi is easier to do. It takes less time to do a Hemi, but their are a lot of Chevrolet Fans out their and I'm one.

We are willing to Help any one with a LS swap.
when you say basic kit and that will "get you running", what are you missing or giving up?

· Registered
188 Posts
Thats total. I bought the donor parts from an 07 silverado for 1600 and wiring and mounts from JSS.I did all of the work myself.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
LS/Hemi swap

when you say basic kit and that will "get you running", what are you missing or giving up?
We are going to work with any engine combo, so we build a kit for the guy that is tring to save money. This kit will work with any engine/trans.

With any of the kits you will not have any lights on in the dash and it will start and run, we have guys that just want the basics. Any thing we build we can add on to, like cruise.

The main kit we are building is for the truck LS engine but we can do any engine.

We have guys doing all kinds of differant engine combos and their running fine.

With are kit the wiring is all NEW and plug and play, we are going to try and save you money!

We have been doing HEMI engine swaps from 2004 to 2012 and we have that worked out. We have been doing Chevrolet swaps from 1990 with the TBI engines, we have done a lot of TJ/LJ swaps and now we are doing JK swaps.
Taking all of the info from the TJ/LJ and putting into the JK, they are a lot a like, mostly the 05-06 TJ/LJ.

· Registered
188 Posts
I havent sold any of the stock parts yet.I picked up the engine and trans from a local salvage yard. The truck had a fire in the cab.

· Registered
793 Posts
I would love to do a LS swap. If you are thinking of biting the bullet I would go this path. The LS motor is a far better motor than the hemi and has tons of aftermarket support. When I go to do a swap, the LS is what it's going to be.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.