JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered both for Christmas. Came in about 10 days ago on a pallet. The shipper left them right in front of my garage for me.
1 The box.jpg

Both of these are over 100 lbs, I think the front it close to 130 lbs, so I left that on the floor
4 Back Bumper.jpg

7 Front Mid Width.jpg

I wanted to put in some back up lights into the rear bumper, but didn't want to buy the fogs to poach the brackets. Spend an hour or two each night of last week fabing up some brackets
Evo of brackets.jpg

Finally found a design and the right material to craft these with hand tools and a battery powered drill.
Light in with 1 bracket.jpg

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fabbed 3 more brackets, was going to shoot them with rustoleum, but it was too damn cold and late. Will do something about that in the spring.

Loaded the bumpers, beer, and all my hand tools into the back of my JK Unlimited, glad I got the 4 door, they wouldn't have fit with the two door, and headed to my buddies heated garage for the install. Picked up another friend on the way. Three sets of hands are better than two, and both friends are more senior wrench techs that I am.

Took the hitch and the rear bumper off with no problem, and we started running wires from the sPod to the rear of the JK. Put the wires in 3/8" split loom, no fun, and followed the breaklines along the frame to the rear wheel well. There is a nice sized whole in the frame so we fished a line and ran through the frame from the rear wheel well to the back, then fished through the cross support and brought the wires out near where the trailer wires are located.

Connected the juice to the rear lights
wiring up the rear lights.jpg

Fitted the rear bumper so it was even, a corrugate box and a 5lb sledge works and leaves no marks.

Tightened up the 4 bolts, went back and forth two times to make sure I wasn't pulling it to one side or the other, and its done. I didn't turn on the lights as they will blind most children and small animals.
Rear Installed with lights.jpg

While all this was going on, my other friend was removing the front bumper
removing front bumper.jpg

We relocated the vacuum pump with an Evo vacuum pump relo kit. Found out later there is a way to do this without a kit, but thats all Monday Morning QB. Here is what I learned. Remove all the hoses and wiring from the vacuum pump, push/pull/prod open two clips, one hose just slides off. Now from underneath cut away the bolt head that is tacked into the bracket. Remove the bolt, flip the vacuum pump over and reinstall with new hardware. Evo used a #10 longer bolt, lock washer, and nut. Connect everything back up. If you use a relo kit, remove the bolts anyway. On an 11 or 12 they'll get in the way.

Also especially in the 11 or 12 you have to do some trimming of the bumper frame at the bottom. It doesn't support anything, just some extra metal that started showing up in the '11s.
Trimmed  front bumper frame.jpg

This is all we cut off
what we cut off bottom frame of bumper.jpg

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm planning to match my rear bumper to the PSC front, but I have the ACE rails and after some serious playing around on rocks only put one dent when basically the entire weight of my JKU went into a boulder. Even then, it's the size of a dime. I'm definitely satisfied with the product.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was talking with Adam from Ace this morning, and read a few posts on another forum that documented alot of what I am telling you now.

After you trim out the extra metal from the bumper frame, and have the vacuum pump relocated, or installed upside down, or whatever, you need to put the bumper on the frame and get the upper right bolt hole aligned. Upper right bolt hole as you are looking at the front of the Jeep, drivers side. If you don't do this there is a risk that you will get one or two bolts all jammed up and you might need to snap the bolts to get them out. You can ask me how I know. And you need an extra handle on wrench to snap them, and then they are warm. If you don't follow those instructions, you will need to call Ace and ask them for some new bolts, which I did, and they are overnighting, because they posted all this info during my install. Also, your bumper will look like this. Note the missing two bolts.

front bumper installed.jpg

With a jack, a few wrenches, and the bolts, I'll get everything lined up by Friday, just in time for my next run with the Jersey Crew.

Special thanks to Adam and Brian for all the help :beer::beer:
Adam and Brian.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
Love my ACE bumper but ditch those pos bolts and get some grade 8 ones. If u need to remove the bumper for any reason the supplied bolts are not reusable......:beer:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking good Ryan! I have been waiting to see this come together for a while now. I cant wait for some action pictures!!

-Jason
Can't wait either Jason. Thanks for making these so easy to order and getting me the info on when they were going to arrive.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Love my ACE bumper but ditch those pos bolts and get some grade 8 ones. If u need to remove the bumper for any reason the supplied bolts are not reusable......:beer:

We found that out when the first one snapped.

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts

Regular grade 8 nuts/bolts/flat and lock washers from ace hardware. I was happy they had enough of them. They usually only have one less of whatever i need to purchase!

;)

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts