JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened last night on my way home from work. Don't know if the guy was high, drunk or just flat out crazy but he decided he could ram the back of my jeep and win. It was a hit and run, he fled the scene and just abandoned his blazer. Fortunately for me I run ace bumpers and they can really take a hit! This guy's truck is destroyed but I got away with just scratches. For anyone considering ace products I say do it, can't argue with quality and strength like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ouch! And impressive.

But make sure your frame is okay underneath. A rigid steel bumper just transmits the impact onto the frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry that the accident happened and I'm glad the bumper did its job and it's only scratches.

I guess the guy's front license plate is true "Nothing Runs like a Deere."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, all ok, just stunned really that someone would be that crazy. Spent about an hour underneath it last night checking things over and it all seems to be ok. The bumper slid forward on the frame about a 1/8 inch but once I loosened all the bolts it slid back into place no problem. Don't really know what if any other damage it could have done. Everything looks like it should and it drives just fine.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I have their fender flares and 2 weeks ago I drug the rear passenger all the way through a rock, just scratched the powder coating off. They do make good stuff at good prices.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Sorry for you troubles. Glad you're ok. Unless you know what to look for and have experience with vehicle frames I would take your Jeep to a shop that specializes or has the equipment to check your frame for straightness. Sometimes the slightest change in dimensions can cause you lots of grief in the form of improperly worn tires, funny feeling steering, road drifting, noises and possibly Death Wobble.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for you troubles. Glad you're ok. Unless you know what to look for and have experience with vehicle frames I would take your Jeep to a shop that specializes or has the equipment to check your frame for straightness. Sometimes the slightest change in dimensions can cause you lots of grief in the form of improperly worn tires, funny feeling steering, road drifting, noises and possibly Death Wobble.
Very true, I started a claim with his insurance today and plan to get it checked in the next few days. I certainly don't want any issues creeping up on me down the road. I tow a 20ft travel trailer with my rig with the family on board and we plan to make the trek to Moab next year.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update- had my local body shop give the frame a once over and they say its all good. They agree that the bumper definitely saved my bacon. Now to see if I can get his insurance to pay out for diminished value now that my jeep will have a rear impact incident in its history...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Awesome Sauce

Definitely bumped these up on my list of prospective bumpers. :gluging:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I read plenty before I purchased my bumpers but decided to go with ACE front and back for this reason. I know they are heavy but I'm perfectly fine with that given how stout they are.

Glad you're okay and hopefully you get something for the diminished value. I wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update- had my local body shop give the frame a once over and they say its all good. They agree that the bumper definitely saved my bacon. Now to see if I can get his insurance to pay out for diminished value now that my jeep will have a rear impact incident in its history...
At the very least you should get the cost of a new ACE bumper paid out to you. Actually getting a new ACE bumper is up to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts