JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, long story short, I've had 2 sets of tires over the past 23k miles. First was a set of GT Radial Adventuro MT in 305/70r16, then a set of Kumho KL71 M/T's. Both tires have been prematurely worn by the same irregular patter. I've heard it called "scalloping" or "cupping".

I have a very mild 1.5" lift from adding JKUR springs and shocks to my 2 door sport. Other than that, no suspension mods. I have had my alignment checked, and it's always been spot on. Even checked it again today; still spot on 1/8" in. Ball joints are good, with zero play and shocks are still running great.

Tires start to smooth back out once I put them on the rear, but by the time they are say 80(ish)% smoothed out on the rear, the ones I put on the front are torn up.

My Jeep has zero shimmy, play or bouncing going on, and all of my suspension parts look to be in good working condition w/ all bolts tightened to spec.

Any clue as to what could possibly be the issue? Is this just something inherent to E rated mud tires being put on a relatively light Jeep?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, yeah. Also, I run 24PSI in the rear and 26 in the front. Decided these were the best pressures for the tires after doing a chalk line test when I first mounted them.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
How often do you rotate your tires? :dunno:

I do a 5-tire rotation about every 3-5k miles, and have had no issues.

That's on 35s, MTR/Ks, then Nitto TGs, on a 2-door Rubi running 26-28 psi on average.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically I rotate every 5k, but since I've started running larger M/T's I moved down to 4K. Once I realized what was going on I moved it up to 3k, but even then I've found that the cupping will start to show up a little bit between 1700 and 2k. That just seems WAAAY to soon.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Typically I rotate every 5k, but since I've started running larger M/T's I moved down to 4K. Once I realized what was going on I moved it up to 3k, but even then I've found that the cupping will start to show up a little bit between 1700 and 2k. That just seems WAAAY to soon.
If your alignment is spot-on as you say, then the balance or roundness of your tires must be for shit, maybe with a side of weak shocks.

Maybe try taking your tire pressure up a couple pounds - it's worth a shot.
Maximizing tread contact on the street comes at the expense of rolling resistance, and maybe you're asking a tiny bit too much of your tires. :dunno:

That's a weird enough problem that I'm interested in what you find. Please keep us updated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts