JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I ask alot of questions in this forum and you guys have always come through for me.
Now Im buying gears for my rig and I need some advice.:stirthepot::stirthepot:
I have a Sahara with a D30 in front and a D44 in the rear both with 3.73 gears. Im running 35" x-terrains on 17" Crager soft 8s. I do a good amount of wheeling but it is a daily driver so I want to get 4.88 gears dropped in. A great shop with good equipment will be doing the install.

Questions::bounce::bounce2:
I'll order the gears and the Overhaul kit, what else do I need for the proper install?
I want to notice a difference on and off road. Is 4.88 a low enough gearing? 5.13s too low for higway driving?
What brands are the best bet? Superior?

Thanks in advance for advice. When the truck is done I'll be so happy and I'm almost there. You guys have helped alot!:beer:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
In my opinion 5.13's are too low for highway driving....keep in mind that going to low can be as bad for you drivetrain as being too high,,,,attached is a chart that will tell you what your RPM's will be for the gear / tire combo you have....4.88's will probably be ok to give you some room to move up to 37's if you ever choose, if you want to stay with 35's and do a lot of highway driving, 4.56 will keep your RPM's closer to stock...but its up to you and the 4/88's are only a bit higher on the RPM's

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 5.13's in my unlimited rubi, auto with 35's. I'm also using it as a semi DD and just got back from a 800 mile round trip to Katemcy.

Mileage sucks, around 14 running around 2800ish at 75/80 but the responsiveness and take off are worth it to me. Offroad it crawls like beast.

I absolutely LOVE them!

If your concerned about mileage or do alot of highway driving, 4.88's MIGHT be worth it. Personally, I commute about 30 miles highway and have zero regrets. The trade off is MORE than worth it to me.

As for install, I took the gears and a overhaul install kit to my local diff shop. I didn't need to purchase anything else.

As far as I know, all the "brands" use the Superior's ie rebadged. I'm sure that will change eventually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info guys! exactly what I need. Keep it comin!!! Its amazing how much you can learn by buliding you're first truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys Im gonna buy the superior 4.88s and the overhaul kits for both axels. Where do i find the best price????
4x4 groupbuy has the lowest i've seen.
any recommendations?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.