JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO... I just trashed my D30 with a TnT truss, 4.88s and ARB locker at the time of this upgrade 20k miles ago I was unaware of the pinion size difference though all I needed was to re-enforce the tubes and C's. Made a fatal mistake and exploded the ring and pinion earlier today.

I am going to try to sell it for parts, D30 housing with a truss system in great shape, ARB locker, 4.88 carrier. Now I guess I will do a D44 I have been reading there are several brands to choose from and everyone seems to have their own recommendation. Budget is $5200 ish dollars I want a bolt in fully built assembly, I have looked at Pro Rock, Currie, G2.

Which one should I buy and why.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
By the time you build out a TF housing you're right there at Pro Rock money. If you've got $5200 you're willing to spend I think the knee jerk reaction would be a Pro Rock Unlimited.

If you want to save a bunch of money a stock 44 isn't anything to shake a stick at if you throw a truss on it. The Pro Rock will have thicker tubes and stronger Cs but you can fix that with a couple hundred bucks in truss and gussets.

Marcus

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I talked to the guys at Northridge been doing more reading sounds like Pro Rock is the way to go $4700 shipped for what I want. They also informed me their axle housing is only one made in the US. I did not know Teraflex was built over seas, but appears they are. Also looked into G2 then I looked away.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Thanks, I talked to the guys at Northridge been doing more reading sounds like Pro Rock is the way to go $4700 shipped for what I want. They also informed me their axle housing is only one made in the US. I did not know Teraflex was built over seas, but appears they are. Also looked into G2 then I looked away.
Good plan. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to check back see if that $4700 figure has knuckles or not.

Anyone got an opinion on value of a built D30 fair price? Full TnT Truss system set up for 4.88, ARB locker. Needs new gears.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I remember correctly when you order the PR44 you reuse all your outers. If you still have the money in the budget since you are already doing the PR44 I would try to find a set of Reid Knuckles, that was the route that I took and I am glad that I did it all at once. Just a suggestion. I am very happy with how easily the PR44 bolted right in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well sadly the amount of wheeling I get to do is very minimal now. Winter time all the trails are closed, summertime I am in 3 hour recall. I do get the occasional break to go play but not to often. I just want to go ahead and get the better axle now. I was on the fence about going to a different locker but I just spent a lot of money building a leak free OBA system.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Don't dismiss the Teraflex housing. They use some overseas parts but they're assembled in their US shops. I have one in front and it's a work of art, in fact I'd like to have one over my fireplace. When it's time for a rear D60 they'll get my money. No knock on Dynatrac at all, but they're not the only game in town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts