JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, you thought the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4dr) was a fresh new production idea from Chrysler huh?

Look what I found in the library in a Jeep book! It's an old picture from the late 1950's, early 1960's on a Jeep ad in Brazil that was never made or sold in the US (according to the book). Most people didn't know this even existed and it shows that even back then, Jeep did have a 4-door. So much for thinking the Unlimited was a fresh new idea that finally came to production. It even sits up to 6 people. Inline 6 cylinder, 90 horse power.

Now for some trivia. Anyone know how the "Jeep" name came to be?

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
No-one knows for sure how we came to call our beloved vehicles Jeeps. The most accepted version is that it came from GI's in WWII, calling the flatfenders "GP" as in General Purpose. The first known use of the word "jeep" though came from WWI, and was used to describe new recruits. So maybe the flatfender was considered a "new recruit" in WWII.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's also the theory that it was a reference to a character from Popeye cartoons called "Eugene the Jeep". He was a magical creature that could do almost anything. Kind of like this new wonderful vehicle.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Funny thing about the whole GP name is that my plate reads "GP Limo". It amazes me how many "jeepers" ask me who GP is. :laughing:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wasnt there a pic of one of these next to a landfill somewhere?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts