JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The designer(s) of the headrest in the JK should have their engineering degree's revoked :thefinger:

There friggin' harder than rock and they're tilted forward so far that they're virtually useless. Someone please give these guys/girls a lesson in ergonomics and comfort :pissed:

Has anyone tried using a headrest out of another vehicle as a replacement?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The first mod I put in my Jk are those travel pillow things you get at Target. I nearly got a concussion the first time my head hit that tombstone.....I mean headrest.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a headrest its a head restraint, and was engineered as such.
Well the engineers need to return to the drawing board, because if anyone hits their head on this "restraint" in an accident they're going to need a new spinal column.

I'm only 5' 10" and I have to raise it up all the way to avoid hitting the top corner in the back of my head. Why make it so hard? Should this "restraint" try to cushion the impact? Currently all it does is reflect it :pissed:

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Seats

I just want to put the 10 way power leather seats with lumbar support from my Range Rover in to the jeep! :bawling:

·
Registered
397 Posts
The head restraint and the arm rests were designed by the Marquis De Sade.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
its called a head rest, but i'd be damned if i rest my head on it.:shaking:

I guess it will prevevnt whiplash though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unfortunately it’s always a struggle between rear impact safety and comfort when designing the headrests. For reduced whiplash and injury in a rear impact collision you would want the smallest rearward movement - pretty much the head in constant contact with the headrest - obviously uncomfortable. Some new vehicles are now using active headrests that move forward to reduce the heads rearward movement.

For head rest measurements they use a torso angle of about 25 degrees, actual drivers vary largely.
I have mostly driven trucks with bench seats, if I set my Jeeps seat to a similar back angle (much more vertical) the head rest is uncomfortable. The further you tilt the seat back the further the head rest should move away from your head.
It took me a bit but I am now use to the little extra lean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts