JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in El Paso, TX. Never in my life have I seen 86 regular gas. "Super" is 88 and premium is 91. I like to run the 88, but does anyone know what might happen if I go to 86?

·
Registered
783 Posts
slight loss of power or fuel mileage if anything at all. Should be ok though, your knock sensor should sense any pinging and tell the ecu to retard the timing a bit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
MON & RON ratings are different for each state, but CA has regular unleaded at 87 mon, and it works fine it most vehicles. If your stock, premium or high test is a waste of money. Just make sure you use brand rated fuel most or all of the time, and you can offset with some Costco or RottenRobbie in between.:beer:

·
Registered
774 Posts
You probably won't notice any difference. what is the elevation of el paso? I would say that it is above 2500, so that would probably be the reason.

·
Registered
725 Posts
owners manual say to run regular unleaded gas putting in anything rated higher could hurt the system i doubt it but thats what jeep says

A

·
0 Posts
85 octane is regular gas in Colorado and that all I’ve ever put in all my cars and trucks here. We are at 5000 feet so 86 is probably fine at 2500.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
owners manual say to run regular unleaded gas putting in anything rated higher could hurt the system i doubt it but thats what jeep says
Hmmm.....really, what year is yours? Here's what my '08 manual says.

FUEL REQUIREMENTS
All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed
to meet all emissions regulations
and provide excellent fuel economy and
performance when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane
rating of 87. The use of premium
gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions,
the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit
over high quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances
may result in poorer performance.
The only mention of damage to the system I could find was from methanol.

EDIT>Oh I just saw you are in California, may be a CA emission thing........

·
Registered
774 Posts
putting in anything rated higher could hurt the system

Where do your information that higher octane will cause damage???? Must be another internet rumor??? Higher octane will not cause damage to you rengine.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have learned the hard way that my Jeep does not like the 86 or 85 octane, elevation or not...so when I am in the mountains, in goes the midgrade...:pissed:

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

The only mention of damage to the system I could find was from methanol.

EDIT>Oh I just saw you are in California, may be a CA emission thing.......
you are right sir thats what mine says didnt mean to cause an uproar
No uproar at all (see my prevoius post). I was just asking since I attached a quote directly from my '08 manual pdf which says nothing about damaging the system.

Then I noticed you are in California and figured that CA Emissions must change everything. We're good:beer::beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts