JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys how is everyone?
Is an 8000 lber mounted on a smittybilt src bump okay for a 2010 4 door rubicon w/ 4 inch rough country with 35/1250/17s, non extreme wheeling mostly trails and sloppy stuff?

Will it be enough?

·
Registered
184 Posts
you should be fine. An 8000 lbs winch, such as the Warn M8000 for example, will still pull 6200 lbs on it's 4th wrap. If your JK weights 5K then you are not exceeding the capacity. A 8K winch will be a little faster and pull more amps than a 9.5K winch would on the same pull becuase it will probably have less gearing.

It's always good to carry a snatch block for those hard pulls though...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes and no. An unlimited is very heavy, the larger the tire the more rolling resistance is encountered. This will push an 8000lbs winch to it's limits. A snatch block does help but, don't forget that you are also decreasing the line lengh by half. Better hope you're stuck close to a tree or where someone can get close. Anyway you look at it you're spending hard earned money on a piece of equipment that you will rely on to get you home. Why waste money on a winch that may or may not work.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I'v been running an 8k for about a year now. A few good pulls with no problems at all.
Deep mud mostly.

But, I just got a XD9000i so.......

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a warn 8000, it has pulled me out of several situations. Usually the winch is only needed as a boost to get you out of a situation. You will be fine, a snatch block is good insurance if you need to double your pull.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm using an 8500lb Superwinch and have had several difficult pulls, the winch did fine. It's slow as molasses though.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I run a Superwinch EPI9.0. It came with a snatch block and external control. A wireless control is available. It also came with 125 feet of cable. This and the fact that it has the lowest amperage draw of comparable winches led me to purchase it. It has worked flawlessly. It was also the least expensive of the comparable winches at the time. Checkout the superwinch site for the comparison chart. Yeah you could get away with an eight. But you could need something bigger depending on how technical your winching situation is. I got mine from 4X4 Rockshop.com. good luck.:beer:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Look, an 8k winch will work just fine as long as you are smart about it.

You can buy a snatch block and a nice 30ft tree hugger strap and you
will double your pull. Just keep in mind that its a self recovery winch.
Don't be a hero unless its the only option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts